PDA

View Full Version : how to 'parent' a sword to a characters hand bone in lightwave 7.5?

mel_y3k
02-09-2008, 08:06 PM
hello, i was wondering how to parent an object to a characters hand bone in lightwave 7.5 (like a basketball, handbag, or in MY case: a sword...). i've tried and tried to figure this out without help, but to no avail...can someone PLEASE help me?...:help:

SplineGod
02-09-2008, 10:13 PM
The simplest way is to have two swords. One is always in the characters hand and the other is the one he picks up or lays down. Use object dissolve to make each appear and disappear at the proper frame.

stib
02-11-2008, 10:46 AM
And remember to make the parent the bone, not any goal objects etc if you're using IK, because the bone is going to stay in place relative to the hand, while the goal objects will drift around a bit.

A quick way to line up the two objects is to temporarily parent the free moving sword to the sword which is attached to the hand , then zero out any positon, rotation and scale and make a keyframe. Then with parent in place ON unparent it with your play head parked on that key frame, so it won't move. Then the two objects will be perfectly aligned on that frame.