PDA

View Full Version : Next ice age?

mattclary
02-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Maybe we need to rethink this whole "Hummers are bad" thing...

http://www.dailytech.com/Solar+Activity+Diminishes+Researchers+Predict+Anot her+Ice+Age/article10630.htm

Hopper
02-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Well of course they're not. I myself have never had a bad hummer. :tongue:

ted
02-09-2008, 12:43 PM
I saw a great documentary on the discovery channel that clearly demonstrated no matter how much we add to global warming, the most we can do is slightly delay the next ice age.

I've got my Underarmor and a lifetime of wood for the fireplace. Oh yeh, I also have a good stock of Brandy! :D

Steamthrower
02-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Oh no. Not another Climate Change Global Warming Ice Age Greenhouse Effect thread.

After about 2,736 posts on the other one I got sick of it and didn't check up on it anymore. People don't realise that other people have opinions that aren't going to be changed by chatting on a forum.

mattclary
02-09-2008, 12:47 PM
the most we can do is slightly delay the next ice age.

Be pretty ironic if America wound up saving the world with our unbridled consumption!

mattclary
02-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Oh no. Not another Climate Change Global Warming Ice Age Greenhouse Effect thread.

After about 2,736 posts on the other one I got sick of it and didn't check up on it anymore. People don't realise that other people have opinions that aren't going to be changed by chatting on a forum.

Nope, but in 20 years when our crops are failing, I will be saying "I told you so". ;)

prospector
02-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Boy, who didn't see this coming :D :D

prospector
02-09-2008, 12:58 PM
I like the litle paragraph on the bottom that says NASA is jumping on this bandwagon too.

So if we have GW or GC they will be right either way and everyone can quote them

Atta way NASA:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

hrgiger
02-09-2008, 02:50 PM
the last time we had a "little ice age" we didn't have all this carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. I think we'll be ok on that front.

As a sidenote, I can't imagine why anyone would want to buy a hummer(the vehicle people, the vehicle...). Personally, I think there is some penis envy going on with those people...

geothefaust
02-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Yep, that's a pretty safe assessment. Hummers (the car), are pretty damn stupid as far as vehicles go for use in the civilian market.

Frankly, I think all SUVs should be illegal UNLESS they use some form of alternate fuel source, that does not impact the environment in a harmful manner.

Unless of course you work in some type of construction field.

prospector
02-09-2008, 03:54 PM
I can't imagine why anyone would want to buy a hummer
Safety
But I am not thinking of the little hummer3 or even the hummer2
I mean the real one, the hummer1, the big one.
I would put one of those up against any 'green' car and see who comes out alive in a realworld crash.

IMI
02-09-2008, 05:14 PM
People don't realise that other people have opinions that aren't going to be changed by chatting on a forum.

I never believed that until now. :D

Still though, it's fun. Nothing on TV, the old lady's off somewhere, the kid is more interested in his X Box, and you have a LW scene with 50 Sigma and Dielectric nodes and 20 area lights rendering at 5000x5000 pixels... gotta do something to pass the time. :thumbsup:

Puguglybonehead
02-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Another Ice Age? Cool! :D

Medi8or
02-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Safety
But I am not thinking of the little hummer3 or even the hummer2
I mean the real one, the hummer1, the big one.
I would put one of those up against any 'green' car and see who comes out alive in a realworld crash.So, how would a crash with another hummer be? Safer than a crash between two "green cars", or is it only safer when you hit a lighter vehicle?

IMI
02-09-2008, 06:50 PM
So, how would a crash with another hummer be?

Ugly. Very ugly.
One Hummer in perfect condition is hideous enough, let alone two or more in a twisted broken heap. ;)

IMI
02-09-2008, 06:56 PM
I've got my Underarmor and a lifetime of wood for the fireplace. Oh yeh, I also have a good stock of Brandy! :D

BYOD* party at Ted's place when the next ice age hits!
*Bring your own dongle. :D

I wonder how many other of my fellow Floridians here would more than welcome an ice age...

Steamthrower
02-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Is it okay to bring along my rifle and my car? And my Mac?

Steamthrower
02-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Argh, stupid post edit limit...we should be able to edit our posts indefinitely as long as someone hasn't responded beneath us...

I forgot an important element in a Survivalist Compound. The electric guitars and amps. I can bring about 900 watt's worth along with some totally cool Flyleaf solos.

IMI
02-09-2008, 07:13 PM
I think it stands to reason you'll need to have the rifle. What's a party without rifles, anyway?
'sides, there'll be plenty of animals what needs a shootin', to put 'em outta their misery when it starts gettin' cold. :D

I forgot an important element in a Survivalist Compound. The electric guitars and amps. I can bring about 900 watt's worth along with some totally cool Flyleaf solos.

I'll see your 900 watts and raise you another 150. ;)

Puguglybonehead
02-09-2008, 08:16 PM

Hope ya got some big, kilowatt-suckin' tubes in them amps. None of that sissy transistor stuff. `Sides, the tubes'll help keep the place warm, somewhat...

prospector
02-09-2008, 10:48 PM
So, how would a crash with another hummer be? Safer than a crash between two "green cars", or is it only safer when you hit a lighter vehicle?

Probably the Hummers would survive, the passangers wouldn't tho...too quick of a stop, brains all piling up on one side of the skull and all.

But if everyone has a 'green' car, the hummer could just go over a traffic jam pushing the little 'green' cars down to later push up daisies. :D :thumbsup:

But if'n ya play anything but 60's music, I'll HAVE to use the tubes as taget practice. :D

Matt
02-10-2008, 04:08 AM
I thought the last two films were pretty good, I liked the little squirrel character!

;)

zapper1998
02-10-2008, 07:14 AM
I forgot what what i was going to say... Oh My, OMG i forgot....

mattclary
02-10-2008, 09:18 AM
I thought the last two films were pretty good, I liked the little squirrel character!

;)

OK, took me a minute, thought I had missed something. :thumbsup:

Chris S. (Fez)
02-10-2008, 09:56 AM
I recently read "The Road." It is about a man and his boy trying to survive in postapocalyptic "America." The earth's climate is not so much changed as it is erased.

It is like road-warrior without all the cars and campiness.

cresshead
02-10-2008, 10:27 AM
cool...cold...keep frosty!
hey i won't need a new fridge then!

i can just see it now...all those departmants for global warming in the govt, the carbon foot print organisation and the various whopping big lumps of cash throw at universities handing back their grants with a red...but turning BLUE face now that we're heading for the freezer-in-io's rather than a bake in the bag lifestyle!

seems peoples idea on what will happen changes like the weather [really poor punn!]

IMI
02-10-2008, 10:50 AM
cool...cold...keep frosty!
hey i won't need a new fridge then!

i can just see it now...all those departmants for global warming in the govt, the carbon foot print organisation and the various whopping big lumps of cash throw at universities handing back their grants with a red...but turning BLUE face now that we're heading for the freezer-in-io's rather than a bake in the bag lifestyle!

seems peoples idea on what will happen changes like the weather [really poor punn!]

For a short while there, they were trying to change what we call it from Global Warming to Climate Change, presumably to avoid such an embarrassing scenario, but that term doesn't seem to be sticking too well. ;)

There are those who say Global Warming's long term effect might actually be a severe new ice age, instead of a desert scene.

IMI
02-10-2008, 11:01 AM
But if'n ya play anything but 60's music, I'll HAVE to use the tubes as taget practice. :D

Riiiiggghht...
I'll make sure I bring my voluminous collection of Beach Boys, The Byrds, and Kingston Trio sheet music... :rock:

I'll be OK though if we can play all Beatles. ;)

ted
02-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Party at Ted's place? you got it. We love throwing parties.

I've got a 6,500w and a 2,000w generator to power all our toys. We have our own well and septic tank. We don't depend on society to survive. In fact I usually feel society is leaching off of me. :grumpy:

You will have to bring your own RV and can park it in the back pasture. And my Brandy if off limits, except around the camp fire. :D

This country boy will survive! :thumbsup:

Stooch
02-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Maybe we need to rethink this whole "Hummers are bad" thing...

teeth = bad hummer.

Steamthrower
02-10-2008, 12:08 PM
I recently read "The Road." It is about a man and his boy trying to survive in postapocalyptic "America." The earth's climate is not so much changed as it is erased.

It is like road-warrior without all the cars and campiness.

Great book. The movie's supposed to come out early next year.

And yeah, those two 450 watt amps are definitely tube amps. They're ancient, about 30 years old, and so heavy they're still in storage (about a 100 pounds each). I'm just waiting until the day I open for a Van Halen concert before I use them.

IMI
02-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm just waiting until the day I open for a Van Halen concert before I use them.

Better get your band and your sh*t together quick then - no telling how long Eddie's gonna stay sober. :D

Hopper
02-10-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm in! Two HammerHead II's each witrh a (2x12) cab, Three Marshal 100w Plexi's, and Two Blues Jr's. All tubes - all the time.

We'll just melt the ice.

Chris S. (Fez)
02-10-2008, 04:03 PM
teeth = bad hummer.

buck teeth = eunuch

Speaking of which, try to watch this trailer for "Teeth" without squirming. It is impossible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PUewLjAsKA

Steamthrower
02-10-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm in! Two HammerHead II's each witrh a (2x12) cab, Three Marshal 100w Plexi's, and Two Blues Jr's. All tubes - all the time.

We'll just melt the ice.

Decent. Quite decent setup. Yes. Very nice. We'll shred.

Stooch
02-10-2008, 08:45 PM
buck teeth = eunuch

Speaking of which, try to watch this trailer for "Teeth" without squirming. It is impossible:

wow every now then i see a preview that makes me say, "wtf were they thinking"

this is one of those times.

mattclary
02-11-2008, 08:05 PM
buck teeth = eunuch

Ahhhh, v****a dentata... Anyone ever read "The Many Colored Land"?

Chris S. (Fez)
02-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Ahhhh, v****a dentata... Anyone ever read "The Many Colored Land"?

No but I just Googled it. Looks interesting, especially the time travel elements.

I will likely drop by B&N later this evening for the first book...assuming the series does not deal with woman with Sarlac Pit parts.

mattclary
02-16-2008, 07:54 AM
No but I just Googled it. Looks interesting, especially the time travel elements.

I will likely drop by B&N later this evening for the first book...assuming the series does not deal with woman with Sarlac Pit parts.

:hijack: Can one hijack ones own thread...? :question:

Definitely check the books out. The sarlac pit parts play a very minor role with one character, but it is definitely a part I have remembered for nigh on 20 years.

Think maybe I should read these again... Will be about the 4th or 5th time...

IMI
02-16-2008, 08:06 AM
:hijack: Can one hijack ones own thread...? :question:

I think so, but don't quote me on it. Might want to call tech support and ask. ;)
It appears as though you did, anyway.
But it's not really hijacked until someone replies to the hijack in question, and here I am, helping to complete the transition. At least I think that's how it works. :question:

*Pete*
02-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Hijacking of own threads is, or should be theoretically impossible.

its like stealing something that was stolen from YOU..that is not stealing and cant be called theft.

you are allowed to "recapture" a thread and then move it to what ever direction or topic as you wish...

hijacking of own threads...people have been banned for less.

Steamthrower
02-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Worse is...I shudder to contemplate the depravity of some...is the double posting that some folks do...a truly abominable and unforgiveable sin.

Steamthrower
02-16-2008, 03:29 PM
And I mean that.