PDA

View Full Version : First AVID, now Apple bails on NAB

ted
02-08-2008, 06:54 PM
I was shocked to hear this.
Both AVID and Apple had good "corporate speak" as to why, but I think it's a BIG mistake. Maybe scale down, but not showing just doesn't make sense.
I wonder how many companies will feel this way next year?

UnCommonGrafx
02-08-2008, 07:42 PM
I dunno, Ted...
I think their honesty that there's about to be a lull in innovation is a good thing; mayhaps this means this money is going to go into more R&D.
Right now, HD is a great idea but not consumer pushed enough to warrant similar offerings as what we have now. That is to say, more of the same isn't such a good idea. And that would be all they have to show us this year is what I read them saying.
Another way to say this is: It is why TriCasters can still be hot sellers - SD is still the way. It's the consumers way.
When a Quantel does this, yes, being concerned is a good idea. With the two companies in question, a retooling is probably needed for them. Quantel, too, but NAB makes more money for them than AVID and Apple, I would bet.

robewil
02-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Still...considering the presence (size) these companies had at the last several NAB's, I agree with Ted that it's shocking.

ted
02-08-2008, 11:24 PM
FWIW, this could be a good chance for NewTek to get more people hanging around their booth. Could be a good idea to do a couple more SpeedEDIT demos on the big stage.
I personally know a massive number of FCP people that are bummed there won't be a place to hang out.

NewTek.....make the most of this opportunity! :thumbsup:

JBT27
02-09-2008, 01:31 AM
Yeah, not so much a shock (well it is actually :) ), but an opportunity for smaller companies to show-off - it'll be remembered and attract more attention even when the big players do return.

Julian.

UnCommonGrafx
02-09-2008, 05:38 AM
That's the positive I see, as well. The little companies have the speed that the larger companies don't when it comes to R&D to implementation.
And hey, the shock value is here, too. But not so much if you look at the rags: none have been overly optimistic about what's to come. Generally there's a hype machine going; none as of late that I've noticed.

Steamthrower
02-09-2008, 06:23 AM
Perhaps less to NAB, more to SIGGRAPH?