PDA

View Full Version : Free Textures: Complete Formica Collection

Matt
02-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Formica (www.formica.com) used to have a free CD available of all their laminate and solid surface textures in a higher resolution (A4 @ 72dpi) than on their website.

They only had a limited supply and now that they're all gone, they haven't made any more, which is a shame. I found this out when I contacted them recently to see if there was an updated version.

So, I decided to share this Formica Collection library of textures maps, they're really useful if you do interior work. Most sort of tile, some don't, as they have shading on them, but even so, it's still worth having in your collection.

It doesn't contain their very latest designs, but everything else, including discontinued ones that might still be handy to have around.

Here's the link:

ZIP archive (284.9MB)
Formica_Collection.zip (www.creactive-design.co.uk/temp/Formica_Collection.zip)

Which contains the following libraries:

Abstracts
- Argo
- Atlas
- Dust
- Elektra
- Envision
- Fantasy
- Genesis
- Grafix
- Mistral
- Paper
- Pompei
- Reflection
- Serigrafica
- Torun
- Tuff
ColorCore
DecoMetal
Digital
- Design_a_Laminate
- Michael_Banks
Metallics
Patterns
Plain_Colours
Solid_Surfacing
Stones
- Granite
- Impression
- Marble
- Natural
Veneers
Woodgrains
Woodgrains_Legacy
- Ligna
- Madera
- Sylva

Hope you find it useful!

Cheers
Matt

P.S. The ReadMe file on the CD:

FORMICA IMAGE CD 2006

This CD-ROM contains images of all the laminate designs included on the 2006 web site of Formica Limited.

Each design is provided as a .jpg, in RGB mode optimised for on-screen use at 72ppi. All images except for those in the Michael Banks Digital range are A4 size at this resolution.

Where F- items and K- items both occur within a single Range, all F- items are listed first in numerical order, followed by K- items in numerical order.

The designs shown have been matched as closely as the technology allows, but their representation is subject to the ability of individual users' computer video systems (graphics card and monitor settings) to reproduce accurately the true colours and patterns of each design. Formica Limited recommends that you examine actual laminate samples before specifying, fabricating or installing.

Fast Samples Service:
Tel: 0191 259 3512
Fax: 0191 257 9878
Email: [email protected]

May 2006

-EsHrA-
02-08-2008, 12:29 PM
wow, cheers! :)

nice freebies always welcomed.

mlon

Phil
02-08-2008, 12:35 PM
If the company permits this, making a torrent out of it might be easier on your server :)

JeffrySG
02-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Wow, that's very cool Matt! It's funny because I was just on the phone with them this week looking for images of a full sheet from their veneer collection. They didn't have texture samples but they sent me a product photo CD with a bunch of interiors with the veneers in use. It did sound like they are in the process of working on a 'designer resource' area on their website. I hope that it might include good res textures as I use their laminates and veneers all the time at work.

Thanks for the post!

ps. so the zip file just has jpgs of the laminates, right? They aren't actual LW texture files? Also, are the textures tillable seamless? Just wondering... :)

cagey5
02-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks for taking the time to post this. Looks to be very useful. :thumbsup:

Matt
02-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Wow, that's very cool Matt! It's funny because I was just on the phone with them this week looking for images of a full sheet from their veneer collection. They didn't have texture samples but they sent me a product photo CD with a bunch of interiors with the veneers in use. It did sound like they are in the process of working on a 'designer resource' area on their website. I hope that it might include good res textures as I use their laminates and veneers all the time at work.

Thanks for the post!

ps. so the zip file just has jpgs of the laminates, right? They aren't actual LW texture files? Also, are the textures tillable seamless? Just wondering... :)

Yeah, I have no idea why they didn't make any more, when I last spoke to them I said just how useful these were to 3D artists!

They are all JPG, A4 @ 72dpi texture maps (except the Michael Banks collection) I don't think they have been editing after scanning to tile perfectly, but as most Formica laminates are designed to tile, most of these do to some degree, the ones that don't either have shading on them or the texture has no natural tiling.

Here's an example of what they are like:

Matt
02-08-2008, 01:30 PM
If the company permits this, making a torrent out of it might be easier on your server :)

I wouldn't even know how to set one up, but yes, it would help! I don't think our site has a usage limit on it, so it should be okay, but might be slow if everyone hits it at once!

art
02-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks for posting! I'm trying to download while it lasts.
Does anyone know where to get a decent and and reasonably priced (or perhaps free) collection of hardwood floors?

Matt
02-08-2008, 01:53 PM
BTW: I posted this in various forums, so I reckon our server is going to be a bit busy! Sorry about that!

connerh
02-08-2008, 01:53 PM
You could make them yourself with Wood Workshop (http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/ww_overview.htm). Or is that not high quality enough?

cresshead
02-08-2008, 02:19 PM
cheers!

err 4.4k per second...talk about being 'hammered'....ahh well 20+hours to go!

art
02-08-2008, 02:44 PM
You could make them yourself with Wood Workshop (http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/ww_overview.htm). Or is that not high quality enough?

I think I tried it in the past but all the sliders scared me away. Maybe I should give it another try.

ana027
02-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Great collection, thanks for share. :thumbsup:

hrgiger
02-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Ouch, I'm only getting like 7kb a second. Maybe I'll try again later.

Silkrooster
02-08-2008, 07:37 PM
I think I tried it in the past but all the sliders scared me away. Maybe I should give it another try.
Art,
Let me know if you need any help with the program. Its free so well worth having around.
Silk

mikadit
02-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Will be useful, thank you!

JeffrySG
02-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks for posting! I'm trying to download while it lasts.
Does anyone know where to get a decent and and reasonably priced (or perhaps free) collection of hardwood floors?
Art, check out the arroway.de textures. They are for purchase but they have lower res versions available for free download. Not sure of the usage restrictions. Great quality....

jlyon
02-09-2008, 05:23 AM
Thanks! Downloading (slowly...) now.

walfridson
02-09-2008, 06:07 AM
Very nice

Could someone, maybe Matt ;) upload to a mirror. Megaupload.com whatever...

JeffrySG
02-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Art, check out the arroway.de textures. They are for purchase but they have lower res versions available for free download. Not sure of the usage restrictions. Great quality....
opps.... forgot the link
http://arroway.de/textures/04/en/index.html

JamesCurtis
02-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Yeah, please make a mirror download of the formica site file available.

5.x k is wayyyy toooo slooooow. Would take 12 or more hours!!!!!

Someone?

Anyone?

Limbus
02-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks Matt!

Cheers, Florian

JeffrySG
02-09-2008, 04:55 PM
I tried to download the textures overnight but I ended up getting an error. I would be happy to post it to megaupload or better make a torrent file to ease the download for everyone, but I haven't been able to get the entire file yet either. We might just have to wait a few days until less people are downloading it. I'll hold tight....

mikadit
02-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Thank you Matt for the texture package! It will be useful!

I had downloaded it all, a torrent is ready right now, let see if it will work.
Please let me know if it work.

cagey5
02-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Hmmm. Not here it doesn't but then I'm no expert on torrent downloads.

mikadit
02-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Right now I can see that someone is downloading the file, but I'm not an expert too. Are you using BitTorrent? (This is the one I used to open the seed, Bit Torrent 6.0.1)

cagey5
02-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Nah, I just clicked on the link.. lol. But then I'm a lazy '^&*%&*@.
Generally, if I have to start downloading software to do something then I tend to not bother.

MooseDog
02-09-2008, 06:08 PM
8:11pm e.s.t. and i just hooked up the torrent. says there's 3 peers atm. glad to help on this one. lets see what happens overnight.

the d/l from matt's server did not complete. understandable and not a problem.

mikadit
02-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Great, my connection will remain open, here 2 am and still lot of work on. :D

@ cagey5
You'll have to download the torrent file and the open it in a torrent client software. Maybe you'll find a stand alone version, so you'll do not need any installation.

Medi8or
02-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Great! Thank you! :)

I'll get the last 5% from the torrent. Faster, and Matts server gets enough traffic without me.. :)

~20kB download now, and ~350kB up..

(edit: that "thank you" was mainly to Matt, but a bit for the torrent too... ;) )

JeffrySG
02-09-2008, 10:07 PM

Very cool, mikadit! It's working very well right now. I'm about halfway done, and I'll try to keep my torrent seeding for the next day or so as well. After that I can leave it seeding most evenings and nights for the next few days (New York time).

Thanks again Matt! :)

ana027
02-10-2008, 02:14 AM
I download the torrent and I can see 0 peers and 0 seeds.

Medi8or
02-10-2008, 02:54 AM
I'm seeding, but maybe tracker is down? mikadit?

Matt
02-10-2008, 03:59 AM

Thanks for doing that mikadit! Will help relieve the strain! :)

I'm downloading my own texture pack so I can seed too! :D

mikadit
02-10-2008, 04:36 AM
I'm glad to help the sharing Matt ... have a good download. ^^
For me there is a fun part too, as I'm full working right now, I didn't lost time for that, just a click to download the package and then, after just 2 hours to download with Firefox, few others click to make a torrent, then back to work. :D

@ JeffrySG
Pleased to help!

@ ana027, Medi8or
I noticed a timout during the night, it could be for about one hour, so, as I was unable to understand the reason I couldn't see any peer, I restarted this computer and then after a few the peers were back. Unfortunatly I'm new on making torent, this is my first one.

BTW let me know if ther is any tip to make a better torent.

Fizzer
02-10-2008, 05:36 AM
Downloaded the Torrent in 40mins. Had 10 Peers during download. Have left mine seeding. Many thanks to Matt and all involved with this.:D

hrgiger
02-10-2008, 06:27 AM
It downloaded last night for me, thanks for that. I'll be seeding for a while to help out.

MooseDog
02-10-2008, 06:34 AM
d/l'ed in about 30mins, and currently seeding. thx! to matt and everyone else. great effort:thumbsup:

cagey5
02-10-2008, 10:08 AM
I went the long way round in the end. About 12 hours. Thanks Matt :thumbsup:

GregMalick
02-10-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm using uTorrect and it blazes at about 300kB/s.
The download took about 15 minutes.

I'm heading off to church, but I'll leave my machine and uTorrent running since I understand that's needed for others to get the benefit too.

Right?

Medi8or
02-10-2008, 11:09 AM
I've seen a few downloading at ~400kB/s from me alone, so I think there is potential for some speedy downloads here.. :)

Fizzer
02-11-2008, 02:37 AM
How many have actually downloaded the textures as a Torrent? Bit Torrent Tracker on my machine shows 7 peers only 3 of which are Seeds!

eagleeyed
02-11-2008, 03:20 AM
I am currently downloading the torrent now aswell. I will keep it seeding for the next week or so when it is finished. Thanks everyone, especially Matt for providing it.

Matt
02-11-2008, 04:16 AM
BTW: I'd love to see some renders from you guys using these textures! Don't be shy now!

;)

eagleeyed
02-11-2008, 06:13 AM
BTW: I'd love to see some renders from you guys using these textures! Don't be shy now!

;)
You shall see some, in a couple of months.

From a brief look I have already found some textures that I will use for my short I am making. Just have to be patient to see it. :)

Matt
02-11-2008, 06:21 AM
Cool, glad you found them useful! :)

RollerJesus
02-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Hey guys...

Sorry it took so long, but I posted the zip on my server as well. I seem get pretty good transfer rates from it. Hope it helps those that don't do the torrent thing.. Like me! :thumbsup:

Texture Pack (http://bedpanmedia.com/Textures/Formica_Collection.zip)

`Patrick

RollerJesus
02-11-2008, 12:57 PM
By the way, if you do download from my server, please PM me and let me know what kind of speeds you get.

Very curious.

Thanks.

*Pete*
02-12-2008, 08:52 AM
By the way, if you do download from my server, please PM me and let me know what kind of speeds you get.

Very curious.

Thanks.

445 kb/sec...(speed increasing as i type...darn it, past 446 now, 447,448,449,450)

thanks for hosting.:thumbsup:

dballesg
02-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Matt,

Than ks a lot for the set of textures! Really useful!

David

archijam
02-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the link - the torrent has slowed to 2.6k (1S 2P) ...

Matt, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

j.

Carlocki
11-19-2010, 05:12 AM
cannot find it anymore

XswampyX
11-19-2010, 05:49 AM
http://www.iceking.org/files/Lightwave_tools&tutorials/Formica_Collection.zip

UltraViolet
11-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the link, I did not see these before ...

Matt, what are distribution rights with this collection ?

I would like to host it on my server, but, I'm very careful and weary about copyright, I just want to be 100% sure when it comes to these things ...

Is there anyone to contact regarding this ?

meshmaster
11-27-2010, 10:46 PM
link not working?