PDA

View Full Version : Render Speed

We-Co
02-08-2008, 10:14 AM
What speeds up rendering time? I used to have an ATI Radeon Platinum Edition 256MB and could render one of my scenes at 8hrs and 17mins. Now I just bought a new GeForce 8800 Ultra Superclocked 768MB and rendered the same scene at 9hrs and 6mins. I thought having a better GFX card would make things faster; which it did make my games faster. Right now Iím going to reload my OS and see if that make things a lot better, but back to my original question. How can someone make the rendering time in a scene faster?

Iain
02-08-2008, 10:20 AM
A faster processor speeds up rendering, not graphics card.

Steamthrower
02-08-2008, 10:20 AM
One particular trick I tend to use a lot (it's pretty standard procedure I think) is to lower your AA and raise your adaptive sampling.

Steamthrower
02-08-2008, 10:24 AM

Yes, all a faster GPU will do is to make your workflow in LW faster (OpenGL display and all that).

We-Co
02-08-2008, 10:35 AM

Yes, all a faster GPU will do is to make your workflow in LW faster (OpenGL display and all that).

Thanks, I'm returning that GFX card ASAP.

Steamthrower
02-08-2008, 11:09 AM
That money spent on the GPU (unless you want it for games or something) would probably much better be spent on RAM. That will benefit you in many more ways than a GPU (though not as much as the CPU does).

We-Co
02-08-2008, 11:13 AM
That money spent on the GPU (unless you want it for games or something) would probably much better be spent on RAM. That will benefit you in many more ways than a GPU (though not as much as the CPU does).
I'm on top of it, :-) I got 4GBs of OCZ 1066MHz SLI Ready RAM. I think I'm going to take that $710.69, save up and buy a Processor. I just wish I would have came on the boards and ask you guys before I bought it, I'll never make that mistake again.

Steamthrower
02-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Wow. That's a lot of money, seeing you can get a quad-core PC for that nowadays if you shop around enough.

We-Co
02-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Wow. That's a lot of money, seeing you can get a quad-core PC for that nowadays if you shop around enough.

I got my eyes on that Intel BX80562QX68 Core 2 Extreme X6800 Desktop Processor. That should speed things up!

-EsHrA-
02-08-2008, 12:34 PM
that depends where you are coming from.. :)

thats intel's latest isnt it?
...if so, its too pricey so maybe wait ,
make sure to get a quad though!

mlon

We-Co
02-08-2008, 01:06 PM
I was wondering about that, what is one of the best CPU to get, any suggestions?

bgraves44
02-08-2008, 01:30 PM
What speeds up rendering time? I used to have an ATI Radeon Platinum Edition 256MB and could render one of my scenes at 8hrs and 17mins. Now I just bought a new GeForce 8800 Ultra Superclocked 768MB and rendered the same scene at 9hrs and 6mins. I thought having a better GFX card would make things faster; which it did make my games faster. Right now I’m going to reload my OS and see if that make things a lot better, but back to my original question. How can someone make the rendering time in a scene faster?

There a tons of tweaks you can do to a scene to make it faster. Depends on the scene, though. What is the composition of your scene:

Number of objects/polys?
Lighting?
camera/aa settings
Using CC's or subpatches?
any dynamics?

You get the idea :)

Might help to give better advice. Don't think you'll get much improvment messing with hardware/os (memory/processsor point noted, however). More a scene-relevant thing i think.

Here's a thread I've been helping with to illustrate my point. Got his render time down from over two hours to 43 seconds - and it actually looked better!

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79346

B