PDA

View Full Version : Infinity MXF/jpeg2000 support

vncnt
02-07-2008, 11:56 PM
I've tested the jpeg2000 version of this camera. Unfortunately Edius 4.5 is the only application that supports this format - via import only - but wasn't available for me during the test.
Direct support in SpeedEdit on the timeline/storyboard, without first transcoding to an uncompressed format in Edius, would be great so I could take longer clips and even some projects to other NLE's.

SE was able to display some stills from mxf/mpeg2 clips from another Infinity camera that had the optional mpeg board installed although there seemed to be some troubles with playback.

They take Infinity orders from now on so more format support requests are expected.

vncnt
02-08-2008, 12:26 AM
They take Infinity orders from now on so more format support requests are expected.

WAKE UP NewTek
There is just ONE (!) other NLE supporting this format.

Ok, realtime editing of jpeg2000 would be heavy on the cpu but for high quality work this is the format we've been waiting for.

If it's used for distribution of movies to digital theaters then it's good enough for my video archive.

Red_Oddity
02-08-2008, 02:26 AM
They haven't used it yet, and many others, because of its somewhat unknown patent status (submarine patent), atleast, that's my theory.

SBowie
02-08-2008, 05:53 AM
WAKE UP NewTek. There is just ONE (!) other NLE supporting this format.Maybe it's just me, but the second sentence above seems to make the first one just plain rude. It would be one thing to say "Hey NewTek, there's very little support for this rare format right now. This represents an opportunity for SE" .... but "WAKE UP"?

(I guess all the NLE developers except are also asleep. Or maybe it's just very early days for the format.)

blueisland
02-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Do you have any views on the quality of this camera? Are the images good?
I had a look at it recently at a trade show and was impressed. I think though its price may count against it as you can ad a little more money and go XDCAM HD.

Thanks
Ray

vncnt
02-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Infinity has a 4:2:2 colorspace with a very nice jpeg2000 compression. The bitrate can be preset (100, 75, 50 Mbps)
Colorcorrection with the test shots I made myself was easy and flexible - not at all like DV, DVCPRO or the long-GOP EX1 format.

The newer XDCAM HD with 4:2:2 colorspace and 50Mbps bitrate might rival this camera but it's also 10.000 euro more expensive. Too expensive for our budget.

If you can afford 20k euro (body only/no viewfinder/no lens) this is a very interesting camera compared to the current XDCAM with 4:2:0 colorspace, long-GOP compression, 35Mbps bitrate and 2/3 raster.

For things like OIS, AF, multiple frame-rates and 25fps progressive full raster 1920x1080 I ordered the EX1.

The Infinity will be delivered in 3 months.
The EX1 should have been delivered 3 months ago.

blueisland
02-18-2008, 11:31 PM
I have it from infinity that in a few months the camera will be 1080p25 and 1080p24 which makes it more attractive. Not sure if the camera isn't full raster 1920 x 1080 though.

The mpeg module add on pushes the price right up to a top end XDCAM hd and really as sony will dominate the market it would be a risk going with infinity. But it does look interesting.

Thanks