PDA

View Full Version : Best Codec to render out to for DVD

Tmapper
02-07-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm In speed Edit and my Build if finished and The Format I am working in is .dv
I want to do a render and but am not to sure as to what would be the best codex to use. Please help
Thanks Scott

Dexter2999
02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
DV or DVD?

DVD is MPEG 2 always, everytime. Do a google search to find the equation to set your data bit rate.

SBowie
02-07-2008, 09:38 PM
I'd try the Quicktime "DV Video" codec. (I would hope that anything that would load a ".dv" file would also load a Quicktime DV file.)

CROUTON213
02-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Hi, we've had fine results rendering a DV Type 2 AVI and then using the flattened movie file in Encore DVD or Ulead DVD Workshop.

mskuma
03-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Tmapper, you can use any of the preset MPEG2 output settings, or you can do a 2 step process (which may give better output) by rendering to SpeedHQ and then encode that result with a separate tool like TMPGEnc (which is very good especially at dealing with HDV -> SD & even changing standards like PAL to NTSC or vice versa while your at it). I did precisely the same thing within SE (PAL HDV to NTSC SD) and the result was not good (as reported elsewhere) but was great with TMPGEnc.

Dufusyte
03-10-2008, 08:48 AM
you can do a 2 step process by rendering to SpeedHQ and then encode that result with a separate tool like TMPGEnc
You can save time by using the AVI wrapper: just Save your SpeedEdit project as an AVI, and then load the AVI into TMPGEnc and render in TMPGEnc. This way SpeedEdit does not do any rendering.

mskuma
03-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks Dufusyte - it's a tip I'll surely try.

mskuma
03-17-2008, 06:25 AM
Dufusyt, which version of TMPGEnc are you using successfully?

Dufusyte
03-17-2008, 01:50 PM
The avi wrapper technique as described above should work with any version of TMPGEnc.

Meanwhile, with TMPGEnc 2.5 (which is not the version I use) you can load a vtp project from SpeedEdit directly into TMPGEnc 2.5. But this vtp support is only available for TMPGEnc 2.5. For this method, you also need to drop a SpeedEdit file into your TMPGEnc directory, if memory serves me.

mskuma
03-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi, I just tried VTP & AVI methods with Xpress 4.0 and there are problems. Seems like it really only works with 2.5.

ScorpioProd
03-17-2008, 06:07 PM
You really should talk to Newtek and bug report it if the AVI Wrapper isn't working with TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0.

mskuma
03-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Is there an official bug reporting channel, or is the feature request forum sufficient? Thanks.

Dufusyte
03-18-2008, 08:37 AM
mskuma, just to clarify, the procedure in SpeedEdit is to click File, SaveAs, and select AVI; close SpeedEdit for good luck. Then start a New Project in TMPGEnc and drop the AVI from Windows explorer into TMPGEnc.

Just to make sure you are following the correct steps.

Hope this helps.

ScorpioProd
03-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Is there an official bug reporting channel, or is the feature request forum sufficient? Thanks.
Ah, there is supposed to be an official bug reporting channel... I believe there's a link from SpeedEDIT's start menu...

As for myself, I don't have SpeedEDIT on a networked computer, so that doesn't help me.

I would suggest e-mailing John Perkins at Newtek directly.

mskuma
03-23-2008, 01:47 AM
Dufusyte, yes I'm doing that - and get a defective outcome using 4.0. Eugene, I sent the PM to John to raise the issue. I agree it's better to raise it this way instead of hoping a bug report on 'feature requests' make it to the appropriate team.. It's better if NT create a separate subforum for bugs or install an email addres or better still offer some web-based bug tracking interface.

ScorpioProd
03-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Well, they do have a web-based bug tracking site. I just couldn't remember it earlier.

This looks like the place:

https://secure.newtek.com/fogbugz/

I do wish they would PUBLICIZE it better. As I recall, there is a link with the program, but it's not a link you can "see" unless your system is on-line.

Tony R
09-06-2008, 08:32 PM

Quiet1onTheSet
09-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Well, they do have a web-based bug tracking site. I just couldn't remember it earlier.

This looks like the place:

https://secure.newtek.com/fogbugz/

I do wish they would PUBLICIZE it better. As I recall, there is a link with the program, but it's not a link you can "see" unless your system is on-line.

Oh, well that explains why I see it at times, and other times I don't! Thanks Scorp. Whelp -- I've bookmarked it for convenience.

Q1