PDA

View Full Version : CC Add Edges

lunarcamel
02-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Ok been playing around with catmull clark sub d's and I am wondering what is the easiest/best way to simply add edges (or basically another loop) inbetween the highlighted section in the attached pic.

Swift Edge Loop seems to do exactly what I want but I just can not pay for yet another plugin to do the most simple of tasks.

Any thoughts? :)

Nicolas Jordan
02-07-2008, 06:05 PM
I would use "Connect" under the Construct tab. I use it so much I have it assigned to a hot key(shift+c). Here is a link to a video about it ftp://ftp.newtek.com/products/LightWave/Videos/Connect.mov

lunarcamel
02-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Ahh, ok perfect. Just doesnt work with weighting!

Surrealist.
02-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Connect is already l (L) on the keyboard. I don't usually use it for a loop but for a section that does not loop or I don't want to loop.

And from your example there, why can you not use Bandsaw Pro? All you have to do in that case is select two polys in the loop. Also Add Edges tool will work in CCs, as will all of the cut tools.

lunarcamel
02-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Ya I think the weighting was screwing me up with all of those tools. For some reason I thought NT fixed that - but obviously not.

Surrealist.
02-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Oh OK yeah that's right. I never use edge weights .

Sensei
02-09-2008, 06:54 AM
EasySplit that you bought just a few days ago, is not destroying CC edge weighting.. Introduced in v3.0..

lunarcamel
02-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Yep and its great! I was just looking for another really quick way to add detail without destroying the weighting. Your SwiftEdgeLoop looks like it would do the trick as well.

My only gripe is having to purchase so many third party plugins to simplify tasks. - and I'm speaking generally. I've been using LW since the toaster days but recently I've become fed up with lackluster releases and lack of some very basic tools.

Without people like Sensei I think I would have bailed long ago.

Ok gripe over - gonna go shovel my driveway! :)

Nicolas Jordan
02-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Yep and its great! I was just looking for another really quick way to add detail without destroying the weighting. Your SwiftEdgeLoop looks like it would do the trick as well.

My only gripe is having to purchase so many third party plugins to simplify tasks. - and I'm speaking generally. I've been using LW since the toaster days but recently I've become fed up with lackluster releases and lack of some very basic tools.

Without people like Sensei I think I would have bailed long ago.

Ok gripe over - gonna go shovel my driveway! :)

:agree: Even though I am thankful for such great 3rd party tools I don't think we should have to rely on them as much as we do to get things done quickly and properly.