PDA

View Full Version : Boy and pet Dinosaur

Albertdup
02-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Hi

This is a small clip I made using Lightwave as renderer and compositor. Used Photoshop for masking out the boy and used a sample scene from Mesiah to drive the majority of the T-rex animation.Used a low res model from Mesiah, did the texturing myself. Used Final Cut for editing and Sonic Fire Pro for music.

I know it can be better but as a proof of concept I believe it was sufficient. It is for a South African television program I am co-writing, it's more about the story than having ultra realistic effects. Will post more info in near future, it's been a long time since I showed some of my work. It was shot at 1920 x 1080 but is for SD broadcast, added resolution did help a lot with the effects shots. Attaching a 720p still and a small movie file. For this time was of the essence so I used existing models, and for what I had in mind the Mesiah animation worked very well so why do it over?

www.hungerandthirst.net/rexweb.mov

ps. perhaps I should add subtitles ? or do you follow the story ?

Albert

Hopper
02-07-2008, 10:39 PM
I thought it was well done! Nice work.

Albertdup
02-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Just for comparison here is the Mesiah object I started with. Also a few shots of the boy and rex.

Albertdup
02-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Also another scene with another boy and a robot, had quite a tricky shadow from the robots arm onto the boys shoulder.

jbr3d
02-14-2008, 01:23 AM
Thats really nice compositng. Nice motion on the Dino, especially when he gets on his tippy toes.........really funny.:thumbsup:

archijam
02-14-2008, 01:47 AM
Very nicely done!

To nit-pick, I liked the shadows from above, but perhaps the shadows on the dinosaur when at the left of the scene should be darker and more complete, to match the shadows on the ground and ambience of the scene ..

Will you post the robot scene as well?

j.

Albertdup
02-14-2008, 03:37 AM
Hi

Here is a 720p of the boy and the robot and also a link to the robot scene as requested. I appreciate your feedback.

www.hungerandthirst.net/robot.mov

Thanks
Albert

archijam
02-14-2008, 01:27 PM
No worries .. would just make a great vid better if you know what I mean ..

For the robot vid, it would work better if the body moved a little, ie. chest turned towards the boy when he looks at him, then away .. and the hand follows the slight movement of the shoulder .. but the lighting match is excellent ..

j.

rdolishny
02-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Hi

This is a small clip I made using Lightwave as renderer and compositor.

Albert

I really like it but the locked off camera is distracting. The fact that you've shot HD allows you to move the image around a bit to simulate a hand held camera. I think if you do that the shots will really come alive.

- Rick

ndrangesh
02-17-2008, 08:57 PM
hi Albert
G'Day mate
you can improve on the motion blur on the t-Rex
did you do any camera tracking or matchmoving
good work with the shadow on the boys shoulder

Albertdup
02-18-2008, 09:26 AM
No camera tracking or matchmoving. I'm still learning as I go. I am looking at Mokey and Motor or Monet, seems like a good choice for the MAC. All I know of Lightwave is self taught from books and tutorials. I agree the motion blur need work. I just had some weird problems with the photoreal motion blur, so I used classic. I noticed that the robot scene is only one angle, I have three angles for that scene so I will upload those. Thanks for the comment.

Albertdup
02-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Here is the link to the 3 angle robot scene. Looking at it now I have to agree that some body movement will definitely improve it a lot.
http://www.hungerandthirst.net/robotfull.mov

Albert