PDA

View Full Version : png + png = psd?

art
02-07-2008, 07:38 AM
I just that saw Dodgy posted his batch question, so maybe there is enough brainpower on the forum to help me wit this:

Is there any way to combine two pngs (or any common format) into a layered psd or multipage tiff? I have a few hundred png pairs that I need to combine, each pair into a single layered document to be lated manipulated in photoshop. I tried imagemagick and it seemingly did that because the output file was around the size of both sources but photoshop kept opening the file as a single layer file (both psd and tiff version).

Any hints? I'd rather not combine 600+ pairs manually.

Red_Oddity
02-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Xnview has a create multipage file option, you could try that one.

Red_Oddity
02-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Or create a photoshop action and create that one into a dropper, so you can drag and drop the files need on said dropper to create a multipage file.

art
02-07-2008, 08:32 AM
I just tried nconvert with the -multi flag. Does the same thing as imagemagick. It created multipage tiff but photoshop does not open it as layers :(.
Nice free tool, by the way. I'll keep it. Now let me try the ps actions.

norlight
02-08-2008, 02:30 PM
If you´re on a Mac you should be able to do something like this with Automator. It´s got the potential to free up some of your valuable time for other, well, important stuff :beerchug:

art
02-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Unfortunately I'm not on mac and I do not have access to one :(

The photoshop action -> droplet did not work either.

Dexter2999
02-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Depending on the file names of your PNG files....
Set up a new action in Photoshop.
Open PNG file.
Create New Layer
Open second file.
Select All <CTL A>
Switch back to first file.
Paste into the newly created layer.
Save As PSD.
End Action.
Then just run a batch process on the containing folder.

art
02-08-2008, 04:36 PM
but how would the action know which pairs to work on?

AbnRanger
02-08-2008, 06:15 PM
One other thing you might try...don't know if it will work, but in "Bridge" you can select multiple files and save them as a multiple-page pdf...do that once, then see if saving a copy as a PSD file separates them into layers.

Dexter2999
02-08-2008, 06:46 PM
but how would the action know which pairs to work on?

Unfortunately, I don't think it will work unless you put each pair of pics in their own sub folder.
I guess that is nearly as labor intensive as doing them all manually.

Are all of your files something like LayerOne_001, LayerOne_002, etc...
and LayerTwo_001, LayerTwo_002, etc...?

If you have access to a program such as After Effects, or Boris, you could grab each sequential file sequence and place it on a layer. Once you have the two sequences composited together, then output a PSD sequence.

Silkrooster
02-08-2008, 07:27 PM
One other thing you might try...don't know if it will work, but in "Bridge" you can select multiple files and save them as a multiple-page pdf...do that once, then see if saving a copy as a PSD file separates them into layers.
Good idea, but if I remember correctly importing a multi-page pdf makes you specify which page you want to import.
Silk

Silkrooster
02-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think it will work unless you put each pair of pics in their own sub folder.
I guess that is nearly as labor intensive as doing them all manually.

Are all of your files something like LayerOne_001, LayerOne_002, etc...
and LayerTwo_001, LayerTwo_002, etc...?

If you have access to a program such as After Effects, or Boris, you could grab each sequential file sequence and place it on a layer. Once you have the two sequences composited together, then output a PSD sequence.
The extended version of photoshop should beable to import serquences as well.
I think this may have to be done with a scripting language.
Silk