PDA

View Full Version : Double-Clicking File Icon STILL Doesn't Work

Giacomo99
02-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Hello-

I posted a while back that files simply would not open by double-clicking the icon, either in Layout or Modeler. The application launches, but then I get either a "Could not read scene file" (Layout) or "Error reading scene file" (Modeler) message.

I'm running LW 9.3.1 on a Dual G5 2.5 with OS 10.4.11. FYI: I have done all the usual maintenance things: repairing permissions, updating prebindings, verifying preference files--none of which makes any difference in this case.

This has been a problem for me since 9.3 came out. The last advice I recall was to delete older versions of LW from my hard drive--which I didn't want to do in the middle of existing projects. I finally did it today--LW 9.3.1 is the only version on the computer now--and the problem still persists. Please advise.

()

toby
02-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Been like that since 6.0 for me. Maybe it's worked here and there, but not enough to add double clicking to the workflow.

Phil
02-07-2008, 12:42 AM
UB or CFM, or both?

Otterman
02-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Yeah-ive had this issue since using 9.3 UB. Previous versions worked fine! Really hacks me off this one. Forced me to think about my workflow and to save to the correct place.

IM LAZY-i used to think a double click was hard work :devil:

Giacomo99
02-07-2008, 07:51 AM
UB or CFM, or both?

I'm not sure--the splash screen says "Build 1291 (Mac32.)" Please advise.

And Otterman, yes, this does force one to "think about one's workflow." As it happens, I'm working on a large project, with various objects and images located throughout a large hierarchy of folders. And even though I'm using Default Folder (an invaluable browsing assistant--Google it if you're not familiar with it), the amount of navigation needed to get to different files is really starting to fry my brain.

(If any NewTek people are reading this: this problem is NUTS. It needs to be fixed IMMEDIATELY--and should've been dealt with a long time ago.)

mwh710
02-07-2008, 08:00 AM
I agree - complete pain that should have been fixed LONG ago. Build 1269 9.3 Mac (32)

Mac Help still doesn't work correctly either

Phil
02-07-2008, 08:18 AM
There are a number of ways to tell. The easiest is to open the LW folder and see if you see a 'SharedSupport' folder. If so, you are using the UB version :)

Other ways to tell you are running UB LW :

- smooth (antialiased) text
- multithreaded OpenGL (accessible from the OS X menu bar)
- installs from a .dmg rather than an installer
- has no help (boo hiss!)
- plugins end in .plugin, rather than .p

Giacomo99
02-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Well, the Help file doesn't work, but that seems to be true for both versions. My plugins end in .p and there's no SharedSupport, so I guess I'm running the CFM (what does CFM stand for?) version. Does it make a difference? Please advise.

Phil
02-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Code Fragment Manager - it's the legacy framework for apps designed for PowerPC.

Most of the improvement work for LW is now being targetted at the UB version, which should run faster on both G5 and Intel hardware. The downside is that it is still rather unpolished in some areas, and that .p plugins will not work with it. File dialog handling remains iffy.

The UB version is designed around XCode and new Mac technologies, bringing drag-and-drop scene and object file opening. It should also work with double-click for objects and scenes, and does here. Use 'Open with' and the always open with checkbox to force the issue. :)

Giacomo99
02-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Well, I downloaded and installed the 9.3.1 UB.

Somewhat alarmingly, when I set the file to "Open With" in the Info window, the application opens, I get the "Loading" progress box with updates as each model loads, and then Layout opens an empty scene with the default light and camera. That is to say, the file is un-openable once I've set the icon to "Open With."

In adddition, after fooling around for a few minutes, it becomes apparent that the UB version is essentially unusable on my Dual G5 for other reasons:

1. It takes almost thirty seconds for Layout to open a scene that opens in about five seconds under the CFM version. And then sometimes it's blank.

2. Layout hangs for almost a full minute every time I try to quit out of it. With a complex scene, it hangs indefinitely and I have to "Force Quit."

3. OpenGL performance is just terrible compared to the CFM version. Navigating through a scene with any textures on is impossible--it just
chugs.

Phil
02-08-2008, 02:49 AM
Well, I downloaded and installed the 9.3.1 UB.

Somewhat alarmingly, when I set the file to "Open With" in the Info window, the application opens, I get the "Loading" progress box with updates as each model loads, and then Layout opens an empty scene with the default light and camera. That is to say, the file is un-openable once I've set the icon to "Open With."

I only tested with objects into Modeler, and had no such problem. I have not tried with scenes. Double-clicking is not something I tend to do with regard to LW, even under Windows, because I have various content directories and would not have confidence that the assets would load correctly.

In adddition, after fooling around for a few minutes, it becomes apparent that the UB version is essentially unusable on my Dual G5 for other reasons:

1. It takes almost thirty seconds for Layout to open a scene that opens in about five seconds under the CFM version. And then sometimes it's blank.

This missing data problem has been reported when there is something in the scene that Layout doesn't like. I've seen volumetrics (e.g. dynamite) settings lost between Win32 and UB Layout, for which I had to workaround. It is rare, though, so if you have a small sample scene to illustrate this problem, it would be nice to take a look and figure out where it is going wrong.

The loading performance also appears to come from work made to ensure that LW is thread safe during file operations. I suspect this part of LW is already under the knife to vastly improve matters. Loading a large scene or object under Win32 is orders of magnitude faster than UB LW on my intel Mac.

2. Layout hangs for almost a full minute every time I try to quit out of it. With a complex scene, it hangs indefinitely and I have to "Force Quit."

I haven't seen this, but UB LW is not as responsive as it should be. Improvements are expected in the next update, but there's no indication of when that might be made available.

3. OpenGL performance is just terrible compared to the CFM version. Navigating through a scene with any textures on is impossible--it just
chugs.

It's pretty poor, yes, but I get the feeling that this is being worked on with some urgency given the level of bitching about OpenGL performance in LW on Mac.

GLSL is dog slow no matter what you do, but it's also worth checking to see if your OpenGL settings are identical between the CFM and UB programs (they use separate configs). VBO multitexture is the best performing of the options, in my experience. Running on an intel Mac, though, comparing with CFM LW is not fair. UB LW is slower than Win32 LW on the same machine though, for everything except rendering (where there seems to be a smaller ~10% difference). UB LW rendering should also be faster than CFM LW, even on PowerPC.

Reporting your issues, with content and a description, to [email protected] will help the developers get UB LW where it should be in terms of general performance and reliability.

Giacomo99
02-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the sympathy. Yeah, I realized right after I posted it that I should've just submitted a bug report--which I did.

For the present, I just trashed the UB version and went back to using the CFM. The CFM is stable and I simply don't have the time right now to address the many immediate issues present by the UB version. I'm vaguely worried that the UB version will still be a mess when I next upgrade my system hardware, but I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I certainly hope NewTek is on the ball by then.

Otterman
02-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Nothing wrong will rattling Newteks cage once and a while i say!

The double click issue, slow open GL are really annoying but the one that takes the biscuit is drop down menus not working. I have to routinely click on to my desktop several times then back into lightwave just to get em back.

Am i the only one experiencing this with 9.3 UB?

JeffrySG
02-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Chilton is aware of the drag and drop on icon issue, just fyi. It drives me crazy that this doesn't work too, but as a work around you can drag an icon into the actual modeler workspace to open it. That might help until it fully gets fixed.

Steamthrower
02-08-2008, 09:04 AM
For me, this has been an issue since 9.0 CFM (first time I began using LW on a Mac). It normally doesn't bother me too much since it's also an issue with several other programs I use.

JeffrySG
02-08-2008, 09:18 AM
For me, this has been an issue since 9.0 CFM (first time I began using LW on a Mac). It normally doesn't bother me too much since it's also an issue with several other programs I use.
Me too... and the fact that we're actually getting used to it really drives me crazy... maybe we should down grade to OS6 so we don't get used to any productive OS features.... lol ;)

Steamthrower
02-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Yeah - I think the full import of it struck me when I realised after a couple of months, "hey - this .fla doesn't open up in Flash if I double-click it!"

As a completely off-topic question: I know this may seem to be an incredibly stupid question, but is there any way that you can turn the red button in Mac OS X to actually quit the application instead of killing only that instance?

JeffrySG
02-08-2008, 11:38 AM
^not sure, but I like that it only closes that document and doesn't close out the app. I see people in windows all the time closing out the entire app when they really just want to close the document. Only to have to re-launch the entire app when they open another doc in 5 seconds... I guess that's just one of the big interface diff. between win and osx that I like.

NCH
02-26-2008, 08:43 AM
I have this problem with my files, message: "Error open this file"...lalala, i working with version 8.5 and this version running without problem, other problem is with export 3ds, open message export only objer with 3 vertices...?

Help me!!

toby
02-27-2008, 01:10 AM
The 3ds format only supports triangles. I'd use .obj