PDA

View Full Version : smoothing problem

BusterHymen
02-06-2008, 03:24 PM
First before you laugh at my question, I am just getting started with Lightwave. I am going through some tutorials and I can not seem to get the smoothing option to work. I am allowed to click the option, but after I close the surface editor the mesh has not been smoothed and I am no longer able to go into the surface editor and select it again.

any ideas?

thanks in advance.

pdrake
02-06-2008, 05:02 PM
make sure you have "texture" selected as the preview option in the perspective window.

Surrealist.
02-06-2008, 05:18 PM
First before you laugh at my question, I am just getting started with Lightwave. I am going through some tutorials and I can not seem to get the smoothing option to work. I am allowed to click the option, but after I close the surface editor the mesh has not been smoothed and I am no longer able to go into the surface editor and select it again.

any ideas?

thanks in advance.

What you are in is not the Surface Editor but the Change Surface requester. Each time you create a new surface, once you enter the name, then you can access the controls below. But once it is done that's it. You have to hit F5 or by clicking on the button to open the Surface Editor to make additional changes after that.

Then yes make sure you are on at least smooth shade in a viewport. Any selection in the list below that (except Weight Shade of course) will show smoothing.

zing
02-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Hi all,
I've just rendering a folded surface with the LW9.3.1(universial Binary).
with all the thing set to smooth (surface smooth, camera antialised) but the output make me very disapointed!!

Pls help!!!
many thanks!!!

zing

We-Co
02-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Are you over lapping poly's? If not goto the Modeler open your object and press "Tab".

Surrealist.
02-12-2008, 12:50 AM
Yeah. That looks like duplicate geometry to me too.

wesball
02-12-2008, 01:55 AM
Almost definitely due to two meshes occupying the same space. In modeler try, selecting one polygon in perspective, then hit ]. This will select all the connected polys.. delete it and see if you have two copies.

zing
02-12-2008, 02:18 AM
hi all,
thx all your quick respond:)

I've check it already, and sure that's no duplication or overlap!!!!!!
It just shown on the horizontal plane but not on the vertical plane.

any comments?

zing

Lewis
02-12-2008, 02:30 AM
zing - post a scene so that we can check what's happening.

cheers

zing
02-12-2008, 03:06 AM
thx again!

zing
02-12-2008, 03:17 AM
Hi all,

As I have no compression utilities in my new mac, so I just sent all the scene & model file to my email. All of you are welcome to download through this email address:

[email protected]
password : 25737162

Lewis
02-12-2008, 03:27 AM
Here is ZIP for you, delete that mail pass thing.

I'll check scene later :).

zing
02-12-2008, 03:53 AM
Hi Lewis,
Thx for your help!!!:)

Lastly, I have check out the unpretty thing is being generated by adding a procedural bump map. While disable the layer, everything will be fine!

I will go on to try as I wanted to add more details on the plain surface.

Thanks again and it is really good to communicate to all of you:heart:

zing

Lewis
02-12-2008, 05:01 AM
Good, I'm glad you found problem :).