PDA

View Full Version : Null won't move my eye bones!!!!!

swingrays
02-06-2008, 01:58 PM
I Know I'm doing this correct. I create the Eye Mover null, select the one eye bone and set the null as the goal object. Nothing. I move the null and the bone will not budge!!!! What am I doing wrong???? This has dogged me with every character. It works, then it doesn't!

swing

Surrealist.
02-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Make the null a target instead.

Check out this video (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Target.mov).

Surrealist.
02-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Also if you want the Goal to work, Add a child bone to the tip of the eye bone, make sure IK is enabled (controlers and limits tab) for the parent bone and then set the null as the goal object for the child bone.

Of course targeting is faster but if you need a Goal for some reason it has to be an IK set up.

swingrays
02-07-2008, 07:16 PM
It seems I got that to work by creating a bone and putting it halfway in the eyeball, then creating a child bone and moving that overtop the other then rotating it 180, then did what you mentioned with IK. Excellent!!!!

NOW, (and this is one of them damn things that never works for me) my eyes won't stay with the rest of my mesh!!! I have them both on separate layers, select one of them in Layout, then go to bones and set Use bones from layer one. Nothing. I know this is elementary LW. I'm stymied!!!!

desperate swing

Surrealist.
02-07-2008, 07:58 PM
I don't think you can have it both ways. I you select use bones from then the eyes will be deformed by the body bones. You have to parent the eyes to the body head bone if you want it to follow. Then use the eye bones to animate the eyes or you could forget the bones and just animate with with a target null that is parented to the head.

bgraves44
02-08-2008, 02:46 PM
If your not using a wieght map to "isolate" your eye mesh (or more correctly, isolate you body from your eyes), then all your other bones in the rig will affect the eyes, in effect overriding the eye bones (as they are small and not as "powerful"). I always create a "catch all" Weigh Map that i assign all rig bones that don't have a specific area of mesh (for instance, the abdomen bones as opposed to a finger bone or something) and just keep the eyes in the same layer and address them using weight maps. The caveat to this method is that all mesh needs to be in SOME weight map or another...

In your case, might be better to just parent your eye objects to your head bone and just draw the eyes their own bones :)

B