PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

Barry Bailey
02-06-2008, 11:37 AM
New to 3D world. I am using LW8.5 along with arsenal. I want to use a factory scene (basics, upper right_flyin_curved_slant) I have brought in an EPS logo and skinned it. Everything good to this point. I have another flyin scene with another logo. First I want to use both flyins in the same scene but with separate animations. Then I want to import a moving background (Jumpback) as the environment. I understand that I can build a box, leaving only the bottom and back and then map the moving video file to the two surfaces. I tried to construct a box, then flipping it inside out, then cutting the unwanted sides. I still see the removed sides. I then tried to map the video with no success. I have looked for a tutorial with no success. I would be happy as a first step to view a tutorial. I realize that there are a lot of steps in this seemingly simple process. Any ideas?

Sarford
02-06-2008, 11:50 AM
To delete sides from a box select the individual polies with the polie selelct tool (spacebar) and then just hit delete.
To map two different videos (or any kind of texture) to the remaining sides you have to give them both a different surface.
Select one polie then hit 'q', give an apropriate name and hit enter, select the other polie and hit 'q' again, give another apropriate name and hit enter again.
Then hit 'F5' to bring up the surface panel. Select the surface you wanna map first. Click the 'T' button on the right side of the color channel. This brings up a new window. Leave 'Layer Type', 'Blending Mode', "Layer Opacity' and 'Projection' as they are.
Click the 'Image' drop-down menu and select '(load image)'. Browse for your video. Now play with the 'Texture Axis', scale and position to get everything aligned.
Rinse and repeat for the other surface.

loki74
02-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Comping to BG in this manner... won't you lose some resolution, since LW's gonna essentially be resampling it?

Wouldn't it be easier (& faster) to render out your animations with an alpha channel and bring in the background in your NLE?

Barry Bailey
02-06-2008, 06:35 PM
I want the shadowing to be cast onto the BG as part of the animation.

Hopper
02-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Could you make a seperate alpha pass on the shadows then comp them using a gradient afterwards?