PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic P2 Editing (PAL 720pn)

alienorbit
02-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Was very pleasantly surprised to find that SpeedEDIT supports native P2 editing. I am trying to discover why certain clips will not load sometimes.

We have used a mix of PAL DVCPRO HD formats, and I am certain that at one point even the PAL DVCPROHD 720p files loaded correctly. However, those files will no longer load, even though they play fine in Windows Media Player. The best I could figure out is that there seems to be an issue with the way that SpeedEDIT caches the (MXF) information for the P2 files.

This capability makes SpeedEDIT the cheapest P2 editign and conversion system by far, and could be a great marketing point.

Any ideas to solve the issue?

jake carvey
strikeforce studios

rbartlett
02-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Do MXF files that are sub 2GBytes work any better than those greater then 2GBytes? Or the other way around?

25p and 50i formats ought to be more easy to handle.... It would be interesting to see a table for what formats are directly supported between the current P2 format options and SE 1.5.1.....

ted
02-06-2008, 08:32 PM
( Not in PAL ). But 1.5 fixed the over 2 gig limit. We couldn't see the Picon on clips over 2 gig before. Is this still not working in PAL?

ted
02-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Jake, in NTSC, 720p 24pn doesn't play nice with SE. I've never used 24pn, but that's what I hear. Can you confirm if that's the format you're having trouble with?

alienorbit
02-07-2008, 03:22 AM
Jake, in NTSC, 720p 24pn doesn't play nice with SE. I've never used 24pn, but that's what I hear. Can you confirm if that's the format you're having trouble with?

Yep, that's it. I thought for sure we had it working at one point, but it might have been related to successful installation of the Premiere CS3 update, which now has support for all flavors of P2 media, I believe. And come to think of it, I think we DID process those files in Premiere, not SpeedEDIT.

Focus Enhancements has a simple but effective file converter available, but it's a lot of cash for something dedicated to one task. The demo seems to work fast and flawless, though.

HD File Converter Pro (http://www.focusinfo.com/solutions/catalog.asp?id=213)

stargatesg1
02-27-2008, 02:30 PM
What is supported by speededit. in re to the 1080i or 1080p formats?
If the 720 /25pn is a problem.. are the other native formats problematic?
Im pondering a purchate of a Panasonic AG-HVX200. Is there anyone using this cam with speededit? or even a Toaster using FW in directly to speededit?
CJ

stargatesg1
02-27-2008, 02:33 PM
I missed the other thread on this.
Got my answer.. THough I would be interested in your experiences using he hvx200 and any issues with speededit.. using the 1080 modes.

ted
02-27-2008, 11:06 PM
I've tried a bunch of P2 flavors and haven't found any that don't work with SpeedEDIT.
I did find that on 720 "PN" the audio doesn't automatically get drug with the video to the timeline. You have to drag the audio manually for that specific format.
We usually shoot 486 30p or 1080i. 1080i looks really awesome.
We have moved almost exclusively to the HVX 200 for all our productions so if SE was having any problems we wouldn't be using it.

barahn
03-01-2008, 01:01 PM
ted, I have been shooting some stock with the HVX200. Most of what I have shot has been in 720p 30p. What project setting would you start the project out with? I would think the HDV 720p project but I have tried that along with other ones and I can't seem to keep the clips from looking choppy. I've tried it with the internal video monitor but still the same. What would you say to do to get a smoother clip?

Thanks.

ted
03-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Barahn, I normally select a NTSC HD 720p, 30fps timeline when shooting that format, just for continuity.
But I honestly don't know if the NTSC HDV 720p would give lesser results. John Perkins told me once and I think he implied it does NOT make a difference, but we were covering a lot of stuff and I'd suggest letting NewTek cover this for factuality. :hey:

I've had good results downrezing to SD for delivery off of HD projects.
But I suggest shooting in the resolution you plan to edit with and deliver on when possible.
You might not always get good results mixing certain formats, resolutions, fps i.e. 30 on a 29.97 timeline etc.
I've heard of poor results with some combinations from various edit systems.
I hope this helps. I'd like to hear more input on this as well.