PDA

View Full Version : velocity

Rob79
02-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Hi All
in lightwave 5.6 there was a velocity texture it was in the odjects panel under appearance options then click clip map by world coordinates you have textuer velocity which is a texture pattern velocity ( units per frame) you could change it on all 3 axis

i now use 7.5d and can not find it this is the first time in years I'v need it

thanks all

loki74
02-05-2008, 09:08 PM
huh? I don't quite understand...

are you talking about causing a texture's properties to match an object's velocity? Ie, make it change color if its moving very fast in a certain direction?

Maxx
02-05-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm a bit confused as well - do you want to make a clip map move position over time? This can be accomplished by enveloping the X, Y, and Z coordinates in the Position tab in the texture editor. I can't remember if 5.6 had envelopes on the rotation, position, and stretch axis(es?) for textures or not.

RedBull
02-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Hi All
in lightwave 5.6 there was a velocity texture it was in the odjects panel under appearance options then click clip map by world coordinates you have textuer velocity which is a texture pattern velocity ( units per frame) you could change it on all 3 axis

i now use 7.5d and can not find it this is the first time in years I'v need it

thanks all

Yeah i miss the good old days!... Don't worry about the others not remembering above me, their just part of that new, young and hip and trendy LW crowd, that don't remember how simple it was to make ocean with texture velocity... :)

Anyway LW6.0 and above removed the option and you will need to use a an "E" button which will lead you to a more complex channels setup in the graph editor. But the same basic idea applies, it's just a bit more convoluted than it was in 5.x

Surrealist.
02-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Yeah if you want displacement you are going to want the deform tab in the object properties. There are several options there that lead you one way or another to the Texture Editor where you will find E buttons next to Scale Position, Rotation and Fall Off. You can choose World Co if you want there too. Clicking on the T next to Clip Map in the Render Tab will give you a Texture Editor with the same options.

loki74
02-06-2008, 12:51 AM
Yeah i miss the good old days!... Don't worry about the others not remembering above me, their just part of that new, young and hip and trendy LW crowd, that don't remember how simple it was to make ocean with texture velocity... :)

Anyway LW6.0 and above removed the option and you will need to use a an "E" button which will lead you to a more complex channels setup in the graph editor. But the same basic idea applies, it's just a bit more convoluted than it was in 5.x

Hey, well sorry for being such a noob, I bought it at 8.3! >_< lol

RedBull
02-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Hey, well sorry for being such a noob, I bought it at 8.3! >_< lol

Heheh, Yeah it's just a sad reminder of how old I am, and how I'm the only one left that does remember..... LW5.6 was likely my favourite release of Lightwave.
Sigh, sniff, sniff.... :)

Maxx
02-06-2008, 04:45 AM
Heheh, Yeah it's just a sad reminder of how old I am, and how I'm the only one left that does remember..... LW5.6 was likely my favourite release of Lightwave.
Sigh, sniff, sniff.... :)
My not remembering has nothing to do with being young and hip, believe me - I bought in at version 5.5. That's the problem - too old to remember properly anymore! :oye:

Rob79
02-06-2008, 11:27 AM
thanks all seems like more work I'll play around with it
also would lightwave 9.3 been any easier in trying to do this I'm working on
a shockwave

thanks again