PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy high res images of the Earth?

kopperdrake
02-05-2008, 02:19 PM
I know there are a few threads on here about building the Earth as seen from space, and the links to Nasa's website and others with decent quality images. But google earth lets me get a lot closer to a part of the planet I'm interested in and I was wondering, does anyone know where they licence their images from, or a decent site where I can ask for a particular location and get it at a decent resolution - something similar to google earth's resolution.

Cheers :)

RollerJesus
02-05-2008, 02:25 PM
When in Google Earth, look at the bottom of the frame to see where the image is licensed from. It depends on location.

cagey5
02-05-2008, 02:26 PM
There tends to be the name of the copyright holder at the bottom centre of the Google Earth view. I picked a random view of middle America and the copyright holder was DigitalGlobe. A quick google got me here

http://www.digitalglobe.com/

Don't know if they would be of interest.

RollerJesus
02-05-2008, 02:27 PM
cagey... too slow man. you lose. or loose. no no... lose.

Lightwolf
02-05-2008, 02:27 PM
You can get anything up to 30m per pixel for free. 15m per pixel you can get from www.truearth.com.

Anything beyond that gets tricky and depends on the area of the globe you need covered. Most data like that is handled by national agencies.

There is also the option of getting higher res global data in black and white and merging it with lower res colour images.

Also, in most cases the data you get is not processed, which means that the colours are off and (since the area covered is usually a mosaic of smaller images) that the images making up the mosaic don't match.

Cheers,
Mike

kopperdrake
02-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Cheers guys :D I'm happy to patch stuff (he says) if the client won't cough up for the images in all their full glory, but it'd be nice if he did :D

JeffrySG
02-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I know you've probably seen these but figured I'd post the links anyway:
http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_set.php?categoryID=2363

Mr Rid
02-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Of course its 'not for commercial use' but you can pan around in Google map's Satellite mode (R-click on 'Satellite' and disable 'Show labels'). Click 'Prt Sc' as needed and then stitch the images together in PShop to make a huge ground map. I did this to print a big terrain map of an area I like to hike around in. You might manuever a semblance of a bump map out of Terrain mode.