PDA

View Full Version : Proposals to Improve Layer Window

Archigram
02-05-2008, 11:19 AM
I use the Layer Window quite a bit--some recent MTSE objects have 60 plus layers--and I find that Modeler's layer interface is far behind the interactive standard of the rest of LW. I hope the layer window is going to be addressed in a future update, and if so I hope the amazing folks at NewTek consider the following features. I know they would save me hours and hours of tedium! (And anyone else with ideas please weigh in):

1. shift-select to select ranges (currently you can select all or none or individual layers one by one.)
2. move layer positions by dragging (currently, you have to copy and paste to move content around in the layer list.)
3. fix the renaming problem when layers shift (if you have named your layers and you delete a layer above it, chances are you lose the name--and of course if dragging is added the names must drag too.)
4. scroll the current layer down or up the list using the arrow keys (very useful for MTSE animation--currently you have to mouse select each successive layer.)
5. lock layer--so that it can be foreground but not operable--or else allow point snapping to background layer.
6. multi-paste: copy multiple layers, paste into multiple layers, with various options--all into one, multi into multi, one into multi...
7. Allow multiple layer windows to be open side by side (instead of on one long scroll) so that objects can be compared directly.

Thanks for considering these ideas!

archigram

Andyjaggy
02-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Some good suggestions in there. I especially like the shift click multiple select. And the ability to drag a layer to move them around. You might want to repost this in the feature request forum.

Maxx
02-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Sounds good to me - I put this thread up in the Feature Request forum early December - http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77060

I like the additional ideas you put forth as well. Hopefully NT is working on this even as we speak.

JeffrySG
02-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Great ideas!! :thumbsup:

One more that I'd love to have - and use in Silo2 - is the ability to change each layer to any display mode (wireframe, flat shaded, hidden line, etc). The way Silo handles this is by having a small icon on the right side of each layer that controls, display mode / visibility / and locking. Also if you right-click on any of the icons you get more options. (see pics below)

Surrealist.
02-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Yes Jeffry, I have asked for and want that too.Thanks for showing such a great implementation of it.

And Arhigram, great ideas there. Well thought out. :thumbsup:

Just a few coments:

4. scroll the current layer down or up the list using the arrow keys (very useful for MTSE animation--currently you have to mouse select each successive layer.)

Since the arrow keys are used for viewport scrollng I would prefer to have it as an assignable tool much like the "Shift Layers Up" and "Shift Layers Down" using Page up and Page down and you could assign it where you want it.

And...

6. multi-paste: copy multiple layers, paste into multiple layers, with various options--all into one, multi into multi, one into multi...

We do already have all into one with the Copy Swap Paste and the Cut Swap Paste commands in case that will help you in the mean time. You can always assign those to a hot key if you want.

The rest of it is on the money.

Matt
02-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Being able to re-order the list by dragging would be nice too!

Archigram
02-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks to all who are adding their voices here. I didn't see your earlier post Maxx, you were on top of it. Yes, Surrealist, the scroll key should be assignable of course, and I didn't know about swap paste, so I will check it out. I totally agree with Jeffry about allowing different display options for each layer--that would be incredibly useful. In Maxx's post he invokes "Photoshop-like functionality" and yes, Adobe has got the layer thing nicely figured out, so why shouldn't that set the standard?

When this thread peters out I'll post it in the feature request forum.

Archigram

JonW
02-06-2008, 06:23 PM
To put it bluntly the range of layer features are appalling.

I use the Layer Window all the time for building architectural models. While constructing, it is not uncommon to have 100 plus layers. When trying to trace and have items in a certain locations a mass of mono chrome lines is impossible to use.

Excellent suggestions from the above posts.

To be able to change the Colour of Wire Frames for different layers like CAD
Backdrop - Higher image resolution for tracing a new layer item.
Moving layers like Photoshop would be great.