PDA

View Full Version : Can VT 5 capture HDV through fierwire

ottis41
02-05-2008, 11:12 AM
am i looking in the wrong place, or can the VT5 capture HDV from a camera or deck? i do i have to capture in another program and import the files to a DDR or to speed edit.

O

kleima
02-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Yes, it can, I do it all the time! You need a Firewire card or input on your MB, because the VT does not have the hardware for this. But they are dirt cheap and there was no sense in reinventing the wheel. Your camera or deck will show up in the DV/HDV capture window in VT SE.
It does not, however, switch HD.

ottis41
02-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Thank you! i found it and it works like it should, i was trying to use capture and it didnt show me a fierwire HDV device ir any fierwire device.

O

cybis
02-13-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm trying to capture my first HDV tape. I'm using a Sony HDV deck with firewire. When the deck is in HDV mode, I get timecode on the "Capture DV/HDV tape..." thing but not video. When the deck is in DV mode, it works. I can't imagine what else there would be to change... and I'm super anxious to see HDV footage in a VT video monitor for the first time!! :)
Any suggestions?

Jeff

SBowie
02-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Are you using the VT Capture module, or SE-VT. The latter is required for HD capture, afaik.

cybis
02-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Yes, I opened up Speed Edit inside of VT5, and went to file->capture from hdv/dv device...
any thoughts?

SBowie
02-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Not a one, sorry. :(

ScorpioProd
02-16-2008, 02:35 PM
What exactly does SpeedEDIT's capture panel report the name of your capture device as when you are in HDV mode with the deck?

CreatvGnius
02-16-2008, 05:50 PM
When the deck is in HDV mode, I get timecode on the "Capture DV/HDV tape..." thing but not video. When the deck is in DV mode, it works. I can't imagine what else there would be to change...

What exactly does SpeedEDIT's capture panel report the name of your capture device as when you are in HDV mode with the deck?

I think Cybis means the deck won't show up at all when set to HDV mode. Won't show up in SpeedEDIT until he sets his deck from "HDV" to "DV" mode. I'm not sure if he needs to go into its menu for specifying the type of data output hes wishes to put to use (i.e., HDV vs. DV), but that would be my guess at this point. Well, that said -- here's hoping he reports back to us with some good news.
-PeterG

Rich Deustachio
02-17-2008, 10:50 AM
I am just guessing here but can't you set the Sony HDV cams/decks firewire output to send HDV footage out as DV? Maybe he has a menu setting in his camera/deck set to do that instead of sending out HDV???

Hehe just really read your post PeterG and that is pretty much what you said...sorry.