PDA

View Full Version : Wierd screen glitch under vista 64

stevecullum
02-05-2008, 07:04 AM
I just got my new system setup yesterday, but when I run dual monitors I experience a wierd glitch every so often. Its like a refresh twitch. Everything was perfect under windows XP, so can only think its a driver/vista 64 thing. Any one else had anything similar?

ted
02-05-2008, 09:58 AM
We're on V64 as well. I see that once in a great while, maybe once every couple days.
My guess would be drivers as well, or power hits could do this too.
I assume you checked connections firmly?

Steamthrower
02-05-2008, 10:08 AM
On XP Pro 32 (before I switched to Mac) I had a similar glitch but it would only happen inside a viewport (any random one). I ultimately determined that it was an OpenGL issue (soon after, ATI updated their drivers and the problem seemed to go away).

Andyjaggy
02-05-2008, 10:18 AM
This happens on my machine every once in a while. It's never bugged me too much as its pretty rare. I still don't know what is causing it.

stevecullum
02-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Well now I've turned the thing on again from shutdown - it can't recall my display settings. Everytime I setup a dual monitor view it resumes to a single after reboot. I've tried swapping the cables around on the video card to confirm any hardware problems and its the same regardless of port, so has to be a software issue.

I suspect whatever is causing this is linked to the glitch too.

Darn annoying :(

stevecullum
02-05-2008, 10:48 AM
This is very wierd...I can set up a dual monitor display under the personlize section and everything seems ok. As soon as I click the Nvidia control panel option, it reverts to a single, no matter what I do. So this is probably whats screwing things up.

I've tried re-installing the drivers, but still the same. Maybe I should roll back the driver to an earlier one? Do you know if there is a file on my machine that controls the setting for these I could access - maybe its corrupted? :compbeati

IMI
02-05-2008, 12:19 PM
I use a dual monitor setup with Vista 64 and an nvidia 8600 GTS, and I know what you mean.
Try setting it up with the nvidia control panel, instead of the Windows display options, and of course make sure you have the correct and current forcewear drivers for your card and OS.

stevecullum
02-05-2008, 12:37 PM
I've just re-installed everything and I set the display driver up first. That seemed to work fine. But then when I installed the sound drivers, it reset the display settings after reboot. Its a creative X-fi, is it even feasible this could effect the video card?

The flicker I think might be the side bar. So I've disabled that for now and will monitor.

Andyjaggy
02-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Yes it is feasable. In my old machine the Soundblaster card would mess up the video playback on my machine. Anything is possible.

stevecullum
02-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Doh! - its not the sidebar :(

stevecullum
02-05-2008, 12:44 PM
If it still keeps reverting the screen setup on restart, I'll have to bin the drivers and see if it resolves things.

stevecullum
02-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Definitley looks like the Creative X-Fi drivers causing a conflict and after some surfing found there are many reports of various conflicts between Nvidia vista drivers and Creatives. I dont need the sound card functions at the moment, so I'll run it on the default ones.

Hopefully SP1 will cure these issues!

Hopper
02-09-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm running dual monitors with an nVidia 6200 AGP8. I get the view port flicker thing like MAD. Sometimes it will just sit there and redraw itself 4 or 5 times. I hate the fact that if it happens while in lasso mode - it erases your lasso (even though it's still there). It's aggrevating as hell and I've gone back and forth between old drivers and latest and greatest forceWear.

The real oddity: I disconnected my two flat panels and plugged my single gigantor ancient 500lb. 21" CRT back in and it never flickered even once. But of course I had to put the panels back ... once you go with 2 montors, 1 will NEVER do.

Hopper
02-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Oh, and I also find it odd that this only happens in LW. I have many OGL apps I run and this is the only one I have issues with. I guess it may some reffresh call to OGL or something.

IMI
02-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Oh, and I also find it odd that this only happens in LW. I have many OGL apps I run and this is the only one I have issues with. I guess it may some reffresh call to OGL or something.

I don't know about the OGL programming stuff, but I've been using LW since version 7.0 came out, and it's always been the only app to consistently have some OGL weirdness going on in one form or another.
From a 64 MB Voodoo III AGP to a GeForce FX 5700 AGP to a 6600, to a 6800 to a 7600 PCI to a 7950 PCI, now an 8600 PCI 512 MB, there's always been some kind of OGL problem which I haven't had in other apps.
The worst, I think, was with the Nvidia 5700 AGP and LW 8.0. Every now and then it was like it would get an entire view in Modeler 'stuck' in its memory or something, and everything was FUBAR, display-wise, until I completely rebooted my PC.
Things have gotten better though. With 64 bit LW 9.3.1, Vista 64 Ultimate, and the Nvidia 8600 GTS PCI card, the only consistent problem I have with the OGL is the dragnet tool in Modeler - the falloff circle doesn't update in real time, whether I'm using it on a 40 polygon model or one with 40,000 polys. It only completely refreshes its new size after I let go of the mouse. It's aggravating enough, though. ;)

Hopper
02-09-2008, 07:19 PM
...the only consistent problem I have with the OGL is the dragnet tool in Modeler - the falloff circle doesn't update in real time, whether I'm using it on a 40 polygon model or one with 40,000 polys. It only completely refreshes its new size after I let go of the mouse. It's aggravating enough, though. ;)
Ahhh... then it's not just me. Sometimes I use mini sliders in the numeric panel and nothing happens. I have to drag manually then go tweak in the numeric panel. It gets very tiresome - especially when you're a beginner like me and your patience is already stretched to the limits