PDA

View Full Version : keyboard+mouse switching for 2 Macs?

Johnny
07-12-2003, 05:51 PM
Can any recommend a device that would enable me to have the iBook next to my main monitor, and to have one keyboard and mouse switch back and forth from Mac to the iBook?

I've tried scores of arrangements having the iBook next to the Mac, left, right, near, far, and they're all a pain bcs of the keyboard/mouse situation. (two mice, 2 keyboards, etc..)

also, has anyone here with a Mac renderfarm had one monitor but many Macs? If a mac serves as a mere render node, seems like there ought to be a way of not having monitors for each and every Mac if they could be administered from one main unit... possible?

thanks!

J

Karl Hansson
07-13-2003, 12:23 PM
What you are looking for is a "KVM Switch" that let you share one Monitor, Keyboard and mouse with several computers. Most work with mac. I don't know which is the best though but do a shearch on the net about KVM switches to find out more info about it.

Johnny
07-13-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Karl Hansson
What you are looking for is a "KVM Switch"...

thanks! just having that term was a big help...

J

Fitz
07-14-2003, 02:02 PM
Try http://www.blackbox.com/

davemj
07-16-2003, 10:24 AM
You need to make sure that the KVM switch you are looking at support USB switching, as a number or PC based and don't have USB ports.

The Belkin OmniView Soho range do a suitable one

Cheers

David

Zarathustra
07-16-2003, 12:39 PM
I use an IOGear Miniview KVM 4 port USB switchbox.

I have 2 G4s and an old 9600 with a G4 upgrade card. Sadly, the 9600, even with a USB upgrade card, won't accept the USB keyboard and mouse, but it'll share a monitor with all 3.
I use a 2 monitor set-up on my main, so the 2nd monitor is the shared monitor.

You can't have your dongle plugged into your keyboard with this setup. I don't think the USB ports on the keyboard get power in this setup.

Mine is on ALL THE TIME. The only weird thing is occasionally I have to unplug and plug the power on the switchbox because the mouse and keyboard don't respond. Occasionally means 3-4 times a month.

It really is a wonderful thing.

Johnny
07-16-2003, 02:18 PM
well, here's something that tangles things for me...

I can't yet find a manufacturer that supports Apple's video connector. I can't think of the name, but it's on c.2000 G4s and up, and is the cable that carries both the electrical power and the video signal.

I wonder whether a converter might be the answer to this for me...

(thanks to all suggesting brand names, tho...they are brands that have not come up in my own searching, and these companies make some nice units!)

J

Beamtracer
07-16-2003, 03:41 PM
A company called Belkin makes conveters from Apple's Display Port to VGA.

Originally posted by Zarathustra
I have 2 G4s and an old 9600 with a G4 upgrade card. Sadly, the 9600, even with a USB upgrade card, won't accept the USB keyboard and mouse I've been successful with this. I put a USB upgrade PCI card into a Mac 7500 (same vintage as yours) and it accepts the both the USB keyboard and mouse. The "on" switch doesn't work, but I could just use the power button on the beige box.

Zarathustra
07-16-2003, 04:27 PM
After a minute or 2, my 9600 siezes up with the USB keyboard and mouse. I have no idea why. Perhaps I have a crappy USB card.