PDA

View Full Version : EPSF LOADER : from AI or PS? : And Which Versions?

Jack Battiste
02-04-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm attempting to load a path into LW [8.0]. Can't get it to work.

1. I have the EPSF loader plugin properly loaded into "File -> Import -> EPSF Loader. I have my dialog box set as follows :
Standard, Closed polygons and lines, Auto Axis Drill enabled, Auto centering enabled, scale : 0.01

2. When I try to import an eps file from photoshop version CS3, Modeler crashes.

3. When I try to import an Ai file from Illustrator ver CS3, I get the following error message : " This plugin does not support Ai9 or later, Please resave it to (.eps) or Ai8"

Question : I don't have Illustrator 8. What is my work-a-round? I'm Running LW [8.0] with Mac OSX 10.4.11, if that makes a dif.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

-Jack

Matt
02-04-2008, 02:52 PM
You don't need Illustrator v8, you can save back to v8 from all later versions of Illustrator.

Check this video tutorial I did here:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43597

Jack Battiste
02-04-2008, 02:57 PM
You don't need Illustrator v8, you can save back to v8 from all later versions of Illustrator.

Thanks Matt, I've had my "duh" moment for the day.
-Jack

Jack Battiste
02-05-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm halfway there but have encountered some issues on the way. I've imported the Illustrator vector logo art, and extruded it but the polygon faces are inconsistent. Most show polys on the front, but some have only polys on the sides. After reading other threads, I've tried a bunch of dif things, none of which worked for me.

1. Save Ai CS3 file as Ai version 8 vector art, Import that using EPSF load tool = what you see in my attachments.

2. Paste the path into photoshop, then export the path to illustrator which produces a .ai file , then EPSF import that = Same result as 1.

3. Paste the path into photoshop, then save it out as an eps file. EPSF import the photoshop eps = modeler crash every time.

4. Paste the path into Photoshop, make a new layer with the logo. Magic wand to create a selection, then let PS convert the selection to a path. Export to illustrator 8. This works in terms of producing consistent facing when imported to LW. But it's a crappy path and quality really suffers.

5. Re-do the path by hand in photoshop, import path to Ai and Import that. This works, in terms of consistent poly facing, but they are all hollow with no facing anywhere.

I either need to fix it from the source illustrator file, or tweak it from modeler. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

Matt
02-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Are you sure you just don't need to flip the polygon direction? Select a polygon and press 'f' on the keyboard to see what I mean.

Edit: Oh I see the problem, you need to select the 'holes', paste into a new layer, extrude them (so the extrude cuts right through on both sides) then select the foreground layer, and background select the layer with the holes.

Then perform a boolean cut operation. After you'll need to merge points by pressing the 'm' key.

If you look at the video in the thread I posted above, it shows this operation clearly.

Jack Battiste
02-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Are you sure you just don't need to flip the polygon direction? Select a polygon and press 'f' on the keyboard to see what I mean.

Edit: Oh I see the problem, you need to select the 'holes', paste into a new layer, extrude them (so the extrude cuts right through on both sides) then select the foreground layer, and background select the layer with the holes.

Then perform a boolean cut operation. After you'll need to merge points by pressing the 'm' key.

If you look at the video in the thread I posted above, it shows this operation clearly.
Thanks Matt,

I'll take a look at the video you've directed me to. I'm posting additional photos of my logo for the next guy sifting thru old threads trying to figure this out. It's fairly complicated and difficult to visualize what the problem is from a few screen snaps.

Thanks again
-Jack

[..]......................

If anybody has a fix for me on the photoshop or illustrator side of things, I'd welcome any suggestions at all.

Matt
02-05-2008, 06:15 PM
It's not Illustrator, it's the LightWave EPS importer!

Maxx
02-05-2008, 09:50 PM
It's not Illustrator, it's the LightWave EPS importer!
Matt's right.

Personally, I don't use the Auto Axis Drill option - it takes only a few additional seconds most times to select the "holes", cut them to a new layer, extrude, and boolean the suckers. And it works pretty much every time.

Of course, it also may simply be an errant polygon in Modeler - try selecting 2 points on an offending poly (the script "D" and "L" look like they may be good candidates for this) and split the polygon. It might solve the problem - never been able to figure out why, but I have seen this behavior before.

Silkrooster
02-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Just for you to think about. Version 8 had a lower limit on point count. I think was raised with 8.3. If you are using the older version, I recommend upgrading to 8.5.
Silk