PDA

View Full Version : Create a Chart that Compares File Capture Mode of TriCaster Models?

CreatvGnius
02-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Stolen from the SpeedEDIT > SpeedEDIT Community > NewTek's SpeedEDIT Editing System Review thread:

I suspect the SpeedHQ error comes from the fact that the reviewer initially worked with a Tricaster and captured analog video with it. The Tricaster does use SpeedHQ as its capture codec.

Hey, didn't someone with some authority on the issue (read: a noteable NewTek engineer) recently post something to this effect...

[Paraphrase]:

"TriCaster STUDIO captures video in NT25 codec..."

It would be convenient if we could have a breakdown from NewTek, perhaps in the form of a chart -- depicting the codec(s) that each of their TriCaster products capture to (and perform other tasks, like background rendering, et al, in) -- relative to capturing from analogue sources, and clearly showing that all models "Capture DV and HDV in the codec that the source is in..." (if that's indeed the case).

Any additional and/or conflicting views on this? Let me know, gang. ;)
-PeterG

Kurt_Henning
02-13-2008, 06:53 AM
There are different models and legacies of the TC.

The TCPFX and TCS are the latest versions and likely use the SpeedHQ. The older one's use NT25.

The TCPFX does capture SpeedHQ, as I understand.

SpeedHQ is propietary, though powerful. I was capturiing footage without alpha in SpeedHQ 4:2:2, a 70 minute files was only 7 GB. I usually budget 12 GB per hour for DV. The SpeedHQ captures look sharper to my eye, but I am biased.

CreatvGnius
02-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Thanks for that Kurt, but I suspect some more specifics might be in order.
By these statements...

...The TCPFX and TCS are the latest versions and likely use the SpeedHQ. The older one's use NT25. The TCPFX does capture SpeedHQ, as I understand... ... do you mean,

TriCaster ProFX™ and TriCaster STUDIO™ record to disk from the Analogue inputs in a live-switch scenario, employing SpeedHQ 4:2:2 (that is, without Alpha support)?

Or do you mean, something else? :confused:

Also, where'd you get your info, guy, and where can we get info on that, and on how TriCaster model(s) handle files during post production (e.g., background rendering, etc) duties?

Thanks for your interaction on this. My humble opinion is that it would be helpful to many if we could know just what file formats we're dealing with, at varied stages in TriCaster production, and that -- in clear terms, signifying any differences among TriCaster models.
-PeterG

CreatvGnius
02-13-2008, 04:13 PM
There are different models and legacies of the TC.

The TCPFX and TCS are the latest versions and likely use the SpeedHQ. The older one's use NT25.

The TCPFX does capture SpeedHQ, as I understand.

SpeedHQ is propietary, though powerful. I was capturiing footage without alpha in SpeedHQ 4:2:2, a 70 minute files was only 7 GB. I usually budget 12 GB per hour for DV. The SpeedHQ captures look sharper to my eye, but I am biased.

One other thing: It would be great for NewTek to provide some sort of "white paper" or F.A.Q. how to achieve optimal quality results when working with files output from TriCaster™ (distinguishing among specific models may be in order)
which are destined for:
*You Tube
*DVD
*Apple Final Cut Pro 6 and 7
*Quicktime, .mov, etc...

And this info would prove most helpful if kept current throught TriCaster model iterations and updates. Anyone agree? Where might I be missing something?
-PeterG

CreatvGnius
02-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Stolen from:
NewTek Discussions > TriCaster > TriCaster - General Support > I have lots of avi files but have not figured how to get them to dvd

Actually, "Prepare for VCR" isn't a precursor to creating an avi, it is the process of creating a DV avi file. This isn't really pointed out on page 37 of the short manual, it only says it will create a single file.

IMHO, it would be helpful to many, if there was a solid, and clearly-presented grid of of sorts, distinguishing the various TriCaster models from one another (and comparing them to VT[5]), providing a comparison of the various codec handling at

*analog ingest via the switcher
*analog and/or DV capture via their respective capture modules
*background rendering operations
*output file format (with description of parameter settings for output options that are not user-adjustable)
*etc.

OK, What did I miss, and which of these ideas need correction or further refinement, here? :vticon:
-PeterG

Kurt_Henning
03-01-2008, 07:46 AM
There is such a document on the TC pages. I think it is called "comparitive matrix."

One thing that has been retired is the old "RTV" writer. TCPFX and TCS can use NT25 and SpeedHQ as your "master output" file, but RTV is not on the saver list, and according to a Newtek engineer, this will likely not return in the TC line. You can still use this with VT systems, but not the TC products.

RTV is a great codec, but with any proprietary codec you can encounter issues when sharing files with clients and other producers. Using Nt25 or SHQ provides needed compatibility on the PC side, as long as the client has the codec loaded so they can read the files.

CreatvGnius
03-01-2008, 12:58 PM
There is such a document on the TC pages. I think it is called "comparitive matrix."Thanks Kurt, but that matrix isn't sufficient for providing encode type details, relative to various functions within TriCaster, as requested. For example...

What encode type is involved in background rendering operations?
What encode type is involved in TriCaster PRO FX™ and STUDIO™ analogue ingest from the switcher...

How do these compare to VT[4]/VT[5]?
-PeterG

jcupp
03-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Both my TCPro FX and TC Studio record (from the live panel) in Speed HQ. From the Capture Media Panel it records DV (even from the analog input). When you render from the Editor it also creates DV files. My old TC 100 recorded NT25 from the Live Panel and, I believe , NT25 from Capture Media. I haven't checked a TC Pro.

CreatvGnius
03-05-2008, 08:55 AM
"...When you render from the Editor it also creates DV files....

Thanks, Jeff. We're almost there: Now, what file type does TriCaster ProFX™ and TriCaster STUDIO™ perform background rendering tasks in?

I've never seen an answer to this from anyone, anywhere. :hey:
-PeterG

jcupp
03-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Not so easy to tell as the files don't have a normal extension, aren't actually AVIs and are deleted automatically when you exit back to Windows. But it looks like from the files size that the ProFX, Studio and even SpeedEdit VT background render in a compressed format. I would guess SpeedHQ.

I guess compression no longer sucks :)

CreatvGnius
03-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks Kurt, but that matrix isn't sufficient for providing encode type details, relative to various functions within TriCaster, as requested. For example...

What encode type is involved in TriCaster PRO FX™ and STUDIO™ analogue ingest from the switcher...
The above question is indeed answered by the comparative matrix you suggested we look into, Kurt. I meant to ask "What encode type is involved in TriCaster PRO FX™ and STUDIO™ analogue ingest from the CAPTURE MEDIA panel.

I now see jcupp has sufficiently answered that, and more.

I guess compression no longer sucks."
So it would seem, eh? :D
Thanks, all!
-PeterG