PDA

View Full Version : Make it Go Away!

MatthewMacMilla
02-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Hey all you gurus, I have a question which may be simple, but not to me.

I'm trying to build a scene, for which two parts of a box must not be visible for the first part of the animation. I have their transparencies set to 100% until I need them, but since they both use fast fresnel (can't envelope shaders?) their reflections are still visible.

No idea if that made sense, but it comes down to this: Can I introduce an object part way through a scene? If so, how? :help:

You can see the issue in the first few seconds: http://matthewmacmillan.com/index1.html

Any help would be a happy place for me :bowdown:

MMM

voriax
02-03-2008, 11:36 PM
You can break the object up and use the enveloped object opacity rather than surface transparency.

MatthewMacMilla
02-03-2008, 11:44 PM
I think that's what I've done up to now. FastFresnel's reflective properties, however, are unaffected by the transparency envelope. That's where the artifacts are coming from, I believe. (But in truth, it's a guess)

I've just begun playing with the "dissolve" envelope properties in the graph editor, setting it to 150% dissolve until needed. It looks like it may work, but I can't know until I do the full render.

Do you know of any other way to hide an object from the camera in it's entirety until it's needed?

StereoMike
02-04-2008, 12:49 AM
I'd use object dissolve (object properties, render tab).
Or, more tedious, you envelope all of the surface layers, so there's no reflection when there's no opacity.
I liked that cube, funny triple M name you have :)

mike

Surrealist.
02-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Edit: He beat me to it but yes:

That would be object dissolve in the Object Properties panel. That should dissolve the whole object in with all properties intact but visible only with the object as it is faded into the scene.

BeeVee
02-04-2008, 09:06 AM
You can always move the parts away off-camera and do a sudden move for them inside a frame to be in place. Of course you will have potential trouble with motion blur, etc.

B

markschum
02-04-2008, 05:50 PM
I dont know if it works in Lightwave but scaling to 0 works in some applications .
Scale back to 100% when you need it visible .

MatthewMacMilla
02-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Ok, Dissolve did the trick! Perfect!

I did try scaling it to zero, but it was still there. I knew it deep down. I just couldn't let that happen.

Thanks for all your help!

And thanks, Mike! That logo took me months to come up with. In retrospect, I can't figure out why