PDA

View Full Version : Alt to fprime plugin idea

ngrava
02-03-2008, 07:51 PM
someone in the mac forum was asking about an alternative to fPrim. Of corse no one came up with anything but it got me thinking. In Cinema 4D they have something called the interactive render region. It works by continuously calling the native rendered in a window everytime the scene changes. Its also working at a much lower resolution then normal and then scaled up too. It works pretty well. Its not exactly real-time because you have to let go of the mouse before the scene can be updated. Anyway, this obviously wouldnt work in LightWave because of the simple fact that it can't render in the background like C4D can. However, there might still be a way. One way that LW can render in the background is through a screamernet node. Its concievable that a plugin could be written that keeps a connection with the node and does the updating but an external program would need to keep up the display.
However, I have no idea how to go about something like that. I would really apritiate any help on the subject.

Captain Obvious
02-04-2008, 05:46 AM
No, that wouldn't work. The Screamernet node would need to load up the entire scene everytime you changed anything, which means you also need to save every time you change.

Bytehawk
02-04-2008, 09:52 AM
or save to a temp scene directory
wich would be an incredible slow way to update imho
maybe we could reinvent the ram-disk ?

ngrava
02-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Crap. I think you're right. I was thinking that there would be some way to keep the connection open and only send the updated data but it doesn't work like that. Oh well. Thanks for the extra brain power guys! :-)

NanoGator
06-24-2008, 08:33 PM
No, that wouldn't work. The Screamernet node would need to load up the entire scene everytime you changed anything, which means you also need to save every time you change.

It'd be trivial to have a script 'save a copy' of the scene without actually overwriting the scene you have open.

UnCommonGrafx
06-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Every once in a while....

I load up Imagine to see how this really could work...

:D

And, to leave you with a ridiculous amount of hope and speculation, during some parts of the beta, this WAS happening, i.e., changing something in modeler was immediately updated IN THE ONGOING RENDER. Didn't crash either. Not that time, at least. ;)

Captain Obvious
06-25-2008, 05:07 AM
It'd be trivial to have a script 'save a copy' of the scene without actually overwriting the scene you have open.
Yes, but the problem is the time it would take to first save and then load a non-trivial scene. If all you have is a chrome ball on a checkerboard, that's fine and dandy, but when your scene and objects take five minutes to save and five minutes to load, things are less peachy.

NanoGator
06-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Yeah, but that depends on what you're working on. Funny thing is, though, one of the longest steps in loading a Lighwave scene is the bit where OpenGL converts the textures, a step skipped in Screamernet.

Captain Obvious
06-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Well, yeah, but that varies a lot. Some of the scenes I'm working on now take around five minutes to load, and that's without converting the textures. However, the total amount of texture memory in the scene is only around 150 megabytes, so converting them doesn't take THAT long. At any rate, reloading the scene would work well for small scenes, but I think Lightwave already has way too many functions already that work great on simple things and fail miserably on complex scenes. One more wouldn't really be helpful.

NanoGator
06-25-2008, 12:57 PM
I dunno. To me it's sorta a 'try it and see' sorta thing. I would say 150 megs is a lot, though. I've got a 32 meg texture on this model I'm working on and it takes far longer for OpenGL to do its texture conversion than it does to load the thing. But I work in low-res stuff so.. meh.. I couldn't tell you with authority about that.

I forget who it was but somebody wrote a script that kicks off a ScreamerNet render in the background, the idea being you can do a test render but still keep working in Layout. I've been thinking about that and have considered building on the idea by providing one of those buttons that can be called from Modeler. The idea is that you set up a sample scene with the model in it. Then, when you've got the urge, hit the button and Screamernet fools around for a while, eventually a new image shows up. It'd even be possible to have it kick off a render at save, so you'd have thumbnails of the latest version of the model. Heh.

I need more hours in the day. :/

Captain Obvious
06-25-2008, 02:41 PM
"A lot" of texture memory is when it makes 32-bit FPrime not handle it anymore, which usually happens between 200 and 300 megabytes. :P

If the day had 30 hours, I'd be rich by now. And possibly dead.

NanoGator
06-25-2008, 02:58 PM
That's weird. Is FPrime growing > 2 gigs?

Captain Obvious
06-25-2008, 05:30 PM
No, it seems to give up around that region even when the memory usage is lower. Besides, surely LW/FPrime supports the "/3gb" switch?