PDA

View Full Version : Event Viewer System Error messages

SCS
02-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Recently I started getting some unusual error messages in the "System" section of the Event Viewer for WinXP (SP2) along with LONG boot times.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error Source: SideBySide -

"Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system."

"Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.CRT. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system."

"Generate Activation Context failed for C:\NewTek\VT5\Effects\Audio Effects\VST.spd-effect. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully."

The first two statements again &
"Generate Activation Context failed for C:\NewTek\VT5\Effects\Video Effects\Timecode.spd-effect. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully."

The first two statements again &
"Generate Activation Context failed for C:\NewTek\VT5\Aura\plugins\Basic\WrapGrid.dll. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did a clean install of WindowsXP (SP2), VT5 and Bob's Multicam plugin, however the errors still persist.

When I Googled the first two statements, some people think this is due to corrupted or missing files related to Net Framework 2.0 - which Bob's plugin installs.

SCS
02-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Another culprit seems to be "VC++ 2005" (Whatever that is)...

Gordon
02-04-2008, 09:36 AM
If you have done a recent update or if you have automatic updates enabled, then try going back to an "earlier restore point" and turn off automatic updates so it doesn't happen again.

SCS
02-04-2008, 10:59 AM
After talking to Newtek Support, they instructed me to install this (type 'VST' in the search box):

http://www.newtek.com/faq/index.php

which solved the VST & Timecode error messages (the Aura error still persists)

John Perkins
02-06-2008, 02:15 PM
You can safely remove WrapGrid.dll

The other plugin WrappingGrid.dll is the same exact code, but oddly enough (typo?) it is named differently in debug builds and slipped into the shipping build, probably due to the different names.

Unless you are a developer, you will not have debug versions of the VC runtime dlls installed. Probably myself and Bob Tasa are the only ones who didn't see this error in the logs ;)

You will not lose any functionality by deleting WrapGrid.dll from the VT5\Aura\Plugins\Basic directory.

Thanks,

SCS
02-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Thank you for the information.

tmon
02-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Does vcrdist_x86_2.0.50727.762.exe take care of BOTH of these system error messages?

1. Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\NewTek\VT5\Effects\Audio Effects\VST.spd-effect. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

2. Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\NewTek\VT5\Effects\Audio Effects\VST.spd-effect. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

tmon
02-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Oops I put duplicates of the same. The second error was this one:

"Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\NewTek\VT5\Effects\Video Effects\Timecode.spd-effect. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully."

So I guess I'm repeating what SCS said originally, with the WrapGrid.dll. being resolved, and hopefully the Timecode.spd-effect error being resolved also.

I guess I'll wait to see if the VST.spd-effect error goes away.

tmon
02-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Well, I've done multiple uninstalls and reinstalls now, and I'm still getting the C++ error on two workstations at work. FYI it doesn't pop up right away. It can take quite a while after VT5 is up and running for it to appear.

Sure would like to hear some theories as to WTF is going on here.

tmon
02-26-2008, 05:06 PM
"Silence" is telling me that the only hope is a full system rebuild?

What fun.

SCS
02-26-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm not sure why you are still seeing the error, although I applied the patch to a clean install - maybe that made the difference?

tmon
02-26-2008, 06:25 PM
I applied the patch to a clean install

You mean, WinXP Pro SP2?

tmon
02-27-2008, 04:28 PM
I have three 19 minute videos I have to get to tape today.

The error didn't come up while editing, but it comes up during my attempts to print to tape, and I can't get video to the master tape.

Is the error related to this function?

SCS
02-27-2008, 07:26 PM
You mean, WinXP Pro SP2?

Yes. I reformatted and reinstalled WinXP and VT only.

The error didn't come up while editing, but it comes up during my attempts to print to tape, and I can't get video to the master tape.

Hmmm... I have not tried that... so the error may still, in fact persist. Sounds like a call to Newtek may be in order...

tmon
02-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Sounds like a call to Newtek may be in order...

And/or a full OS reinstall.

I just wish I knew what is causing this. I.e. I don't want to go through a two-day rebuild, only to have it come up again.

I like the idea of starting with only the OS and VT5 though.

tmon
02-28-2008, 04:25 PM
We were using XP Pro's "3D Text" screensaver. When it would kick in, the C++ error would pop up and crash VT5.

This has been submitted as a bug.

I would still run the patch and delete WrapGrid.dll.

No OS rebuild necessary.

Just turn off the screensaver, at least when you are running VT5.

Whew.

CreatvGnius
02-28-2008, 06:44 PM
We were using XP Pro's "3D Text" screensaver. When it would kick in, the C++ error would pop up and crash VT5.

This has been submitted as a bug.

I would still run the patch and delete WrapGrid.dll.

No OS rebuild necessary.

Just turn off the screensaver, at least when you are running VT5.

Whew.

Hi, Taiji.
I seem to recall back in the days of the release of VideoToaster[2], that NewTek recommended against running [so-called] screen savers (honestly, do they *really* save a screen?), as that would potentially mitigate against maintaining a trouble-free performance scenario for VT -- or am I mistaken?

Not a bug TTBOMK.
-PeterG

tmon
02-28-2008, 06:58 PM
PeterG,

Definitely good advice. Note, however, that I never had a problem with using the 3D Text and VT prior to this, and did not think it was an issue, so the "old" message does carry a bit more weight now.

As far as LCD screens like the HP2335's I use at work, yes, they do need "saving" from burn in, but I have a new solution: Just TURN THEM OFF when finished using them for the day.

CreatvGnius
02-28-2008, 07:21 PM
PeterG ...As far as LCD screens like the HP2335's I use at work, yes, they do need "saving" from burn in, but I have a new solution: Just TURN THEM OFF when finished using them for the day.
Ya' got *that* right. I think turning it off might even provide a bit more life out of the display, vis a vis using the screen-saver, besides.

One other thing: VT is quite demanding, relative to all that it asks your system to do. Just consider your past, successful rendezvous with screen saver running in the background of VT as a past love affair. :heart: It was good to have gotten along for as long as you have, but...
-PeterG