PDA

View Full Version : help! phantom poly!

supa noob
02-03-2008, 10:27 AM
hello-
my problem:
im a novice.
im making a squash / pumpkin object.
as you can see from my first Jpeg things seem ok so far- i've sub-patched and have used the 'cut' tool extensively to generate more geometry.
in pic 2 you can see where ive hidden most of the object. you can now see some unwanted 'flaps' - they seem to be folded in on themselves
in pic 3 you can see it better in un-sub-patched mode the unwanted 'flaps' are shown in dark grey

i cant select these 'flaps' as they're not real polys
so my question is - why where these generated, is there a way to kill them and what should i look out for in future so this sort of thing doesn't happen?

supa noob
02-03-2008, 10:33 AM
i should also say that i've used weld alot here

Hopper
02-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Open GL will sometimes do this with non-planar ploys. It doesn't understand how to render it propery because all polygons "should" be planar. You could easily remedy this issue by adding geometry, trippling, etc (make it planar). Divide those polys and see what happens.

You will also get this kind of totally cool OGL niftyness if it can't figure out how to close a poly (i.e. complex n-gon).

supa noob
02-03-2008, 11:08 AM
that helps to know its just display odness and not my actual model.
but please could you expand on your trippling solution:
ie how does adding geometry make a poly Planar and more to the point, what is planar!? is it a flat polygon?

Surrealist.
02-03-2008, 05:28 PM
You have some poly flow issues that are creating most of the strangeness you are seeing.

Your mesh should be very simple. There are many ways to create gores in something like that. But to clean up what you have you could start by merging the adjacent triangles. If you want some help with it I'd be glad to show you some examples of a good poly flow.