PDA

View Full Version : Carnival around the world

Mitja
02-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Hi guys! I was just wondering...how do you people out there celebrate, or not, carnival??! It would be interesting to know! :) Just my curiosity

Steamthrower
02-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Nope...not here at least...if any revellers approach me I'll probably just get in my car and roll up the windows and flash them with my brights and honk.

Iain
02-04-2008, 09:29 AM
What, like Gay Pride?

We get really pissed in the streets at New Year but that's about it.

Mitja
02-06-2008, 06:19 AM
Both of you seem to be too serious people for such things...:) Anyway, I didn't mean gay prides or so, but, you know, something like carnival of Venice (sure you heard about) or Viareggio (if you want just googlate), some kind of folkloristic things, more local traditions... not like Rio. And not like prides!

Steamthrower
02-06-2008, 06:49 AM
That'd be Mardi Gras in New Orleans. I don't think anybody else even celebrates it.

Too serious, I am? Tsk. I shall have to train myself.

Iain
02-06-2008, 06:56 AM
We burn a Wicker Man every year. Sacrificial virgins are getting hard to find though.

tonybliss
02-06-2008, 07:13 AM
what part the virgins or the ones willing to sacrifice :devil:

Anyway I am from Trinidad - home of Carnival and calypso/soca
and we ended our carnival celebrations yesterday

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/preview.html

Steamthrower
02-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Around here the rednecks get drunk. That's it. Not even any human sacrifice or pagan sun worship.

Mitja
02-06-2008, 09:01 AM
See? Something is coming out!!!

We burn a Wicker Man every year. Sacrificial virgins are getting hard to find though.
I guess that even just virgin are hard to find nowadays, sacrificial even more.

That'd be Mardi Gras in New Orleans
Yeah, I heard something of it. Someone been there?

Anyway I am from Trinidad - home of Carnival and calypso/soca and we ended our carnival celebrations yesterday
I saw the picture of the link and...it's not cold this time of year? Or I should make a revision of geography...

Around here the rednecks get drunk. That's it. Not even any human sacrifice or pagan sun worship
I guess you find everywhere drunk people, even here ... Is this so bad?:hey:

Steamthrower
02-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Well...haven't been to Mardi Gras personally but I don't think I'd be too inclined to attend. All you have is characters in blatantly extravagant clothes staggering around singing songs. I can do that any day of the year. So...I gather...carnival in Italy is a "sight to behold"? Does the pope get out and do a jig in front of St. Peter's?

tonybliss
02-06-2008, 09:09 AM
LOL revision of geopgraphy needed ... its the tropical caribbean :) :D

... and people get drunk here more sooooooooo often .... little ireland lol :D

Mitja
02-06-2008, 09:21 AM
I don't think I'd be too inclined to attend.
I said, too serious...:D But I don't think the pope is permitted to do such things!

...and people get drunk here more sooooooooo often .... little ireland lol
...other people... but not you?!!:hey:
Btw, now I'm going to burn the "wicker" man, or something similar, so ends this year's carnival here (it was time)!

IMI
02-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Around here the rednecks get drunk.

Wow, your rednecks are alot like ours.
Small world, eh? :D

Steamthrower
02-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Wow, your rednecks are alot like ours.
Small world, eh? :D

Man, this is incredible! Do your rednecks also:

- live in dilapidated trailers
- hunt in and out of season
- drive pickups and rusted muscle cars
- watch NASCAR reruns
- own a trampoline, satellite dish, and motorcycle?

What a small world!

tonybliss
02-06-2008, 10:06 AM
I said, too serious...:D But I don't think the pope is permitted to do such things!

...other people... but not you?!!:hey:
Btw, now I'm going to burn the "wicker" man, or something similar, so ends this year's carnival here (it was time)!

I tried and tried :tongue: but i just can't get drunk, never have
have some people here that wanna brek me out tho'

me loves tha heineken, baileys, and hennessey cognac ... but no drunkees here yet ...

IMI
02-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Man, this is incredible! Do your rednecks also:

- live in dilapidated trailers
- hunt in and out of season
- drive pickups and rusted muscle cars
- watch NASCAR reruns
- own a trampoline, satellite dish, and motorcycle?

What a small world!

All of the above, yes, except they tend to hook onto other people's satellite dishes and jump the fence to use other people's trampolines. :D

Hey, no kidding here, but there's a guy I see around driving this dark blue Ford F250 pickup with a confederate flag attached to a pole somehow fixed in the bed behind the cab. I mean, a full-sized flag on a real pole about six feet tall.

Steamthrower
02-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Listen there, Yank, you start capitalising the word Confederate. Show some honor to the motherland. The South Shall Rise Again.

UnCommonGrafx
02-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Surely hope not...

Lincoln would have to enslave us all again. Economic enslavement, that is...

I've been to Mardi Gras. First time I ever saw two men kiss... Helluva thing for a 12 year old to see. Fortunately, there were plenty of women on swings in windows to rid myself of the other image.

;)

Mitja
02-07-2008, 02:33 AM
I tried and tried but i just can't get drunk, never have
have some people here that wanna brek me out tho'
me loves tha heineken, baileys, and hennessey cognac ... but no drunkees here yet ...
This means you have to work harder on this point!!:D In my experience, there's always a threshold point, for everyone!
But's interesting: here we don't have the hennessey cognac at all!

...a full-sized flag on a real pole about six feet tall.
Wow! I've seen a lot of weirdnesses, but something like this ... Da palice doesn't do nothing to these people? (here, if you do something like this they make you an a** like whale's)

First time I ever saw two men kiss...
At least you haven't seen two men marrying...:thumbsdow

Steamthrower
02-07-2008, 06:32 AM
This means you have to work harder on this point!!:D In my experience, there's always a threshold point, for everyone!
But's interesting: here we don't have the hennessey cognac at all!

Wow! I've seen a lot of weirdnesses, but something like this ... Da palice doesn't do nothing to these people? (here, if you do something like this they make you an a** like whale's)

At least you haven't seen two men marrying...:thumbsdow

Why'd the police need to do something about that? It's his truck and his flag. He can be as lunatical as he wants, as long as it doesn't harm someone.

Mitja
02-07-2008, 06:57 AM
Why'd the police need to do something about that? It's his truck and his flag. He can be as lunatical as he wants, as long as it doesn't harm someone.
Cuz a vehicle is homologated for certain dimensions and if you exceed these dimensions... well, in Italy it's against the law! You can say goodbye to your car and licence. For the same reason we can not have alloy wheels of 19", f.e.

Steamthrower
02-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Aha. Check this out. I got a movie of this thing out the window.

Mitja
02-07-2008, 09:30 AM
People really buy these ... things? Anyway, a good example of what you would never see if you come beyond the pond, even on st. Peter's...:)

Steamthrower
02-07-2008, 09:44 AM
They don't buy them...they build them.

Hopper
02-07-2008, 08:29 PM
What, like Gay Pride?

We get really pissed in the streets at New Year but that's about it.

If you lived in New York, that statement would have an entirely different meaning, yet it would still be true! :D

Hopper
02-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Unfortunately around here (Austin, Texas) all it takes is one whiney baby to make mention of it, then suddenly it's a hate crime. Boneheads...