PDA

View Full Version : Rial Bevel not working

Geoff Vane
02-01-2008, 11:14 AM
When I place a curve in the background, and pull on a polygon in the foreground with rail bevel, I only get an extrusion with a number of segments that are the same as the number of points in the curve. The result is straight and not bend like my background rail. :bangwall:

cagey5
02-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Probably your sound card

Surrealist.
02-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Well I can't seem to duplicate that.

Do make sure that the head of your curve is at the beginning of the extrude and that the polygon is centered around this starting point of the curve.

For pictures of this set up take a look at the manual.

If this does not work try and delete the modeler config file and start fresh. (Will delete any custom set ups if you have any so save those first).

And if this does not do it, try and reload all your plugins from the Edit Plugin/Scan Directory tool and point it to your plugins LW folder or to be safe the root directory above that.

Geoff Vane
02-02-2008, 05:26 AM
Well, it is still not working. I made a spline, centered it in the background on a cube. Then I drag the cube in the foreground. It does extend, but in the same way extrude would do, having just as many segments as there are points in the curve.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2303/railbevelzx0.th.jpg (http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=railbevelzx0.jpg)

I agree with cagey5, it is probably my soundcard... :screwy:

cagey5
02-02-2008, 05:49 AM
Freeze your curve before the bevel to get more points to work with. Don't forget to use the up and down mouse movement to increase the conformity. If in doubt after that watch Protons video on the subject.

realtime
02-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Same problem here, 9.3.1 new configs and frozen curves (though that shouldn't matter) point order is what is used by the tool.

prometheus
02-02-2008, 09:43 AM
hmm..Arenīt you using the wrong tool for what you are after?
you are currently using rail bevel..perhaps rail extrude is what your looking for
that will conform to the spline.

dee
02-02-2008, 10:36 AM
i think the spline is in the wrong position, try drawing it in the back view towards Y+.

Geoff Vane
02-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Dee, you've got it right!

Y+ only!

Other dimensions are not working for rail bevel.

This is the third time, someone on this forum actually solved one of my daily nervewracking Lightwave problems in five years! Congratulations :bday: