PDA

View Full Version : "Decompose into Objects" feature available?

Sweebach
02-01-2008, 05:44 AM
I have imported a molecule set, shown as a set of spheres, that Lightwave is seeing as a single object. I want to apply differing textures to individual spheres, so I need for Lightwave to separate the spheres into individual objects.

How is this done? :help:

Dodgy
02-01-2008, 06:23 AM
Are the spheres connected by geometry? If not, just select one poly on one sphere and then use Select Connect (the ']' button) and LW will select just that sphere. Change it's surface (press 'q' then choose a name) and repeat. In the surface editor you should see each sphere's surface listed.

Sweebach
02-01-2008, 07:05 AM
:thumbsup: Thanks, that worked.

The spheres do not share geometry, each occupying it's own space with no overlap.

Now I see in the Surface editor that this model actually has 5 surfaces defined, one for each atom type (previously they had the same surface definition).

I'm looking at the selection options. Would there be a way to create 5 object sets based upon surface, so that I can control visibility of each set (this would seem to be a better option than interchanging a totally transparent surface).

Also, do you know if there is a way to decompose the scene into separate objects?

Dodgy
02-01-2008, 07:17 AM
You can cut and paste each sphere into a different layer of the object they're in, and assign each layer its own pivot point for animating them.

Sweebach
02-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks for your help. I appreciate your expertise.