PDA

View Full Version : Maneki Neko

Mebek
02-21-2003, 09:01 PM
Just a project that's kept me occupied between gigs.

http://members.aol.com/mebek19/maneki-neko.jpg

Maneki Neko -- The Beckoning Cat -- a good luck charm

Comments please!

Thanks!

Tom Winnicki
02-21-2003, 09:49 PM
Very realistic, but I think the bump map on the floor tiles should be elongated along the grain.

Mebek
02-21-2003, 11:01 PM
Aah, cheap linoleum. What can ya do? :)

I didn't really spend a lot of time with the floor, since the main focus is on the figurine.
Perhaps I will re-texture the floor with something a little nicer, like sealed hardwood.

Rory_L
02-21-2003, 11:28 PM
...or tatami!

It`s a really nice cat; (and the lino is spot on!) is it modeled from one that you have? I thought I`d only seen left handed manneki nekos, but I`m bound to be wrong! :D

R

JDaniel
02-21-2003, 11:55 PM
Yes, very realistic Mebek. I like the reflection.

Epita
02-22-2003, 04:08 AM
Stop posting Photos Ok. No that is a really good pic, the reflection is spot on, very good. The floor looks good to, the reflection works well to give it size.

Epita

banshee
02-22-2003, 05:49 AM
Gotta be an HDR. Yes? No? Yes? Materials look really good and the floor looks fine btw. 9cent/sq.ft linoleum Home Depot special:D . Sorry, can't find much to pick at, it's just really good. Maybe a little more reflection/brightnes to the edge of the medallion? Could just be the camera angle though. Love it:cool:

riki
02-22-2003, 06:16 AM
so so so so kawaii desu yo :-)

Mebek
02-22-2003, 12:20 PM
Doomo Arigatoo Gozaimasu!

And thanks for the kind comments. (Hai, kawaii desu ne.)

To answer some questions:

Yes, I'm using the Kitchen Probe HDRI in Image World; I also set the exposure to a white point of 3.0 (always mutes the colors but looks way better in this case).

Yes, it's based on one that I have - I actually have two on a little stand, one with the right paw and one with the left paw. According to the research that I have done, if it's beckoning with the left paw, it is welcoming people and customers; if the right paw, it is inviting money and prosperity.

I am thinking that I will make five more - one for each traditional color (white, btw, represents purity, but is the most common due to ease of manufacturing).

Bonus points for anyone who knows what the coin says (and yes I do know). :D

sparky
02-22-2003, 12:41 PM
very realistic!

Skonk
02-22-2003, 12:53 PM
lol thats brill :)

riki
02-22-2003, 03:28 PM
eeeerrr my kanji is limited to ichi and ni :-) but my guess is the first bit is a number? 1000, 10,000 ?? Maybe a million happinesses or something :-)

Gabman6
02-22-2003, 04:04 PM
that looks so real! :eek:
are u sure u didnt just take a picture?!
yeah... there is something with that bump map for the floor... maybe low res? u send it to newtek yet?

Mebek
02-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Here's a quick fix on the floor:
http://members.aol.com/mebek19/maneki-neko2.jpg

I noticed that the original image didn't have black outlines around the tiles. I also modified the bump map a little, toning it down and adding a slight crumple. I decided I wanted to keep the cheap discount linoleum feel. :)

Also, I've posted a screenshot of Layout below :p
http://members.aol.com/mebek19/maneki-layout.jpg

You're close, riki. The first symbol is indeed "1,000." :)

Epita
02-23-2003, 05:45 AM
Well, the new floor is a big improvement. Looks just like the real thing! My Kanji is just as bad limited to - Ichi mi no kami - A sheet of paper, Romanji to - uriwa phsico - I am a phsyco!-

Epita

Rory_L
02-23-2003, 11:34 PM
sen man nanika

Ten million somethings. I too have no idea about the third character, but the first two, in practice mean `countless`, or `myriad`.

I could ask my colleagues, but that would be cheating! :D

That`s an eye opener about the handedness of the cats! No wonder I`m more familiar with the left handed one: it`s to be seen outside almost every restaurant here!

Lovely model. Now do us a daruma!

R

Mebek
02-24-2003, 12:03 PM
Sen Man Ryou

Ten Million Ryou (ryou being the unit of money in feudal days) this cat was holding an extremely valuable coin, enough to make anyone rich beyond their dreams - therefore, the cat was very valued as well. The figurine that I based this one on is holding a 1-million-ryou coin, and the one holding up the left paw has a coin that simply says "good fortune" (and holding a daruma, by the way!)

Enough trivia for now :)

Thanks again for everyone's kind responses. Now I'm off to make my little family of Maneki Neko.

Murphy
02-25-2003, 05:51 AM
What can I say...

SHWEEEET!!!

Murphy