PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Cali...

AbnRanger
02-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Riverside, California that is...in a few days. Anybody here live in the vacinity, and knows the low down on the public transportation in the LA area. I was told....warned, I should say...about the horrendous traffic :devil: , and that I should consider the rail or bus. Thanks.

AbnRanger
02-01-2008, 10:36 AM
To clarify, I was just wondering some of the "good to know" things about the area...including whether public transportation is the way to go (avoiding the traffic).
Here in Nashville, TN., as long as you leave before 6am, you can dodge the heavy volume. What's it like there in the greater LA area? Thanks again:)

Stooch
02-01-2008, 11:03 AM
bus lines are pretty good. LA is a city of cars though. im in the hollywood area. i love this place.

best suggestion... get a place to live as close to work as possible. it will save you lots of money and aggravtion (and most importantly, TIME) in the long run, even if you pay extra for rent.

Wickster
02-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Wait, you're going to commute between Riverside and L.A.? Taking the public bus wouldn't really save you from the traffic. The commuter train might be a little expensive, I mean I was from Riverside county just last year but my commute was from there to San Diego, where the traffic isn't that bad.

I would imagine you'd be using the 91 freeway everyday to get to L.A. and well...I'll just symphatize with you. :)
If you do drive your car down 91 everyday then it's worth purchasing the FastPass membership where you can drive in a "carpool-like" lane where it eliviates some stress, though I hear it gets congested too sometimes. Last time I was there to visit my sister, the traffic starts at Yorba Linda/Anaheim area and goes all the way to Corona Riverside...on a weekend...I can't imagine what a weekday must be. Just packa box of patience with you and you'll be fine. Otherwise leave early and come back late. :D

L.A. is different story altogether.

JVitale
02-01-2008, 08:53 PM
It takes 90 minutes from Riverside to Los Angeles by car on a Sunday with no traffic....

On a weekday...yeah, god help you...

the Metrolink might be OK but it gets pricey...

busses?..Forget it!.. the only public transportation in Los Angeles I take is the subway and the light rails...I hate the MTA

My 2c since I have lived in Los Angeles forever...

MooseDog
02-02-2008, 05:23 PM
i've got nothing to offer directly abn, except best of luck:thumbsup: . interesting responses to read though, so thx for that.

you see, i lived in manhattan for over ten years (downtown, midtown, westside), and i praise the skys almost every day that i no longer have to deal with the krappe of a major metropolitan area. god bless you guys, but the nearest traffic-light to my house is 5 miles away:dance:

AbnRanger
02-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Wait, you're going to commute between Riverside and L.A.? Taking the public bus wouldn't really save you from the traffic. The commuter train might be a little expensive, I mean I was from Riverside county just last year but my commute was from there to San Diego, where the traffic isn't that bad.

I would imagine you'd be using the 91 freeway everyday to get to L.A. and well...I'll just symphatize with you. :)
If you do drive your car down 91 everyday then it's worth purchasing the FastPass membership where you can drive in a "carpool-like" lane where it eliviates some stress, though I hear it gets congested too sometimes. Last time I was there to visit my sister, the traffic starts at Yorba Linda/Anaheim area and goes all the way to Corona Riverside...on a weekend...I can't imagine what a weekday must be. Just packa box of patience with you and you'll be fine. Otherwise leave early and come back late. :D

L.A. is different story altogether.Yeah, I have family in Riverside, so it will be my initial place of residence. I was just wondering if it would be feasible to take the rail or bus from there to various suburbs in the greater LA area. When does the real congestion start in the morning? I prefer the leave early, leave late routine anyway, but if the rail gets you where you want to go considerably faster, I will probably go that route. Thanks again, gentlemen.

Initium Thoth
02-02-2008, 07:21 PM
I live in the Glendale/Burbank area(on the border). Previously, I lived in China Town and found public transportation around Downtown to be very reliable. Beginning this next week, I will try to commute from Glen-Bank to Downtown. I can report my findings then :deal:

Mr Rid
02-02-2008, 08:45 PM
To clarify, I was just wondering some of the "good to know" things about the area...

There's a story about Bette Davis. A reporter asked her to dispense some advice for aspiring actresses coming to Hollywood. The aging star replied, "Take Fountain." Fountain Avenue, that is. Driving directions, in other words: a concrete slap of practicality in the face of unrealistic dreams.

Fountain is still a somehwat overlooked east/west cut-across where most people are on the busier streets like Sunset and Santa Monica blvd.

You'll need to buy what is called a Thomas Guide with grid maps of LA area streets.

I dont see LA buses as any advantage over driving as far as time it takes to get around. No matter where you are on the road between 4 and 7, its every entity for himself. I gave up scurrying all around side streets and realized it winds up taking about the same amount of time as sitting in hiway traffic because everyone else is doing the same thing. I try to use the time to kill two birds. Make or get something to eat like breakfast on the way to work or dinner on the way home. Get some audio books for the car and try to relax.

PARKING is the real fascist nightmare in LA.
As one friend advised me when I first moved to LA, try to view parking tickets as a 'tax' you will wind up paying one way or another, so try not to stress when you get one. Rest assured, there will be NO leniency, no matter how valid your excuse may seem. Nearly every street has parking rules designed to make the city mountains of money. This kind of confusing multi-config is everywhere. 54404 NOTHING has ample or convenient parking like where I came from in Dallas. Dallas ordinance prevents business' from opening if they can not provide a certain amount of parking spaces per occupancy. LA could care less where dozens of shops and cafes line Sunset like near my home, along with a movie theater, provide NO parking lots... how on Earth can a movie theatre have no parking lot?! So thousands of patrons spill over into surrounding residential areas to park so that residents have no place to park. It is insane when I have to park 2 blocks from home (a lot of older homes here lack driveways).

When you get directions from anyone, be sure to also find out 'and where the hell do I park when I get there?'

jeffreywpearson
02-02-2008, 10:58 PM
I live in Anaheim and commute to downtown LA every day to work. I take the Metrolink train. I spend $185 each month for the monthly pass which I figure is saving me close to 100 to 200 per month in gas and maintenance on a car. The monthly pass is also good for most of the rail lines and buses around the LA area. You can email me directly if you have any other questions.

Jeff Pearson

AbnRanger
02-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Thanks guys...that's very helpful. What about the light-rail?
is it just for the dowtown area? I'm also wondering if you can do some work on your laptop while riding the train or is it not advised to do so?

Mr Rid
02-03-2008, 03:49 AM
I live in Anaheim and commute to downtown LA every day to work. ...
Jeff Pearson

Holy zeus.

Gaze
02-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Abn, I don't believe there is a good way to get into LA from Riverside and back during commute hours. If you figure something out when you get there, keep it a secret because many would like to know and then your nightmare will start all over again. I'd estimate you could get all the way to downtown San Diego faster from Riverside than to downtown LA.

Advice would be to try and get into a vanpool or carpool that can take advantage of HOV lanes, etc, wherever available and read or do work on the way. That actually might not be so bad.

g/l

jeffreywpearson
02-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Light-rail is for LA area only and most of the lines you don't want to be on. Very scary people on them.

You can work on whatever you want on the metrolink. However, there are not any power outlets.

But I do get a lot of work done on my laptop. My only remaining wish is for wi-fi access on the train. Working over my cell phone modem is agonizingly slow......

JVitale
02-03-2008, 11:20 PM
For more info on Metrolink

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/

For Metro Rail:

http://www.metro.net/default.asp

AbnRanger
02-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Light-rail is for LA area only and most of the lines you don't want to be on. Very scary people on them.

You can work on whatever you want on the metrolink. However, there are not any power outlets.

But I do get a lot of work done on my laptop. My only remaining wish is for wi-fi access on the train. Working over my cell phone modem is agonizingly slow......I guess I'll use Metro-Link...being able to get some work done during the commute gets 2 birds with one stone. Thanks, Jeffrey for the tip about the lightrail.

It reminds me of an incident that happened about a year ago. One evening where I was sitting in my vehiclenext to a fast food place...wasn't well lit, and I had my laptop out...thinking Tennessee is a pretty safe place, I didn't think anything about it. Long story-short...I almost got jacked (had a vehicle speed right at mine) but sniffed it out in the nick of time, and was able to get out of there like it was a movie script (with that vehicle initially starting to chase me)...spooky. Don't want to make that mistake in a new place with a much bigger crime rate.
Moral of the story...thugs like laptops. It's a neon sign to them that you have $$$, and quick drug money for them.

AbnRanger
02-10-2008, 05:20 PM
What kind of speed levels are we looking at for Metro link and light rails...anyone have a good guess?...50 mph+? And why would LA thugs ride the Lightrail, but not the Metro Link...more security personnel?
Never rode a commuter train in my life, for what it's worth. Jumped out of planes and helicopters, but not because they had street thugs on board.

jeffreywpearson
02-13-2008, 10:42 PM
For Metrolink the speed varies. Just like on streets, different sections of rail have different speed limits they have to follow. I dont know about light rails. The issue with the light rails was not necessarily the criminals but the homeless people. Quick short story: A Coworker of mine rode the 'blue line' (one of the light rail lines). This homeless guy gets on and starts yelling at people. Just her luck, he singles her out and actually kicked her in the head before attacking her. She wasn't hurt too bad (just cuts and bruises) but she doesnt take that line anymore...she rides the buses in now.

JVitale
02-14-2008, 03:11 PM
of all the Light rail lines, the Blue Line is the only I wouldn't recommend taking since it runs through the most dangerous neighborhoods...It is also the busiest line...All the others, Red (subway) and Gold (light rail from Downtown to Sierra Madre) are great...I have never taken the Green line...