PDA

View Full Version : 32bit and 64bit LightWave on same dongle?

kopperdrake
01-31-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm going to install XP Pro 64 bit so I can install 64 bit LightWave and make use of the memory, but for those niggly plugins that are not 64 bit yet I'd also like to keep the 32 bit version of LW on there too. I read BeeVee's post about having to get a new registration number or something for your 64 bit version - can I still run a 32 bit version on the same machine if I need to swap back to it to use those 32 bit only plugins? So have two LightWave directories, a 32bit one and a 64bit one, and the one dongle being good for them both?

Red_Oddity
01-31-2008, 03:16 PM
LW 32bit and 64bit each install in their own directories, LW 64bit just needs a different license.key file in its program directory, that's all.

I run both versions just because some plugins still aren't ported to 64bit, but i have never run into any serious trouble.

Lightwolf
01-31-2008, 03:24 PM
No probs at all.
And to clarify: They also use separated configs.

Cheers,
Mike

kopperdrake
01-31-2008, 03:31 PM
Beautiful - just what I wanted to hear :D Ordered my 64 bit OS just now so should have some fun soon :D

Thanks guys...again!

Wade
01-31-2008, 03:50 PM
64 is great!

kopperdrake
01-31-2008, 04:24 PM
hehe - I can't wait. In fact 0 I can actually say I *need* it. Ran out of memory using FG and HD Instance...don't want that to happen again!

Red_Oddity
02-01-2008, 02:44 AM
Make sure you have HD instance 64 bit aswell then (not sure if you get both versions when buying, as HD seems to make you order either a 32bit or 64bit version)

jdomingo
02-01-2008, 03:42 AM
can you install 2 different OS in one machine?

kopperdrake
02-01-2008, 03:48 AM
Ooh - I'll check with Graham to see what I get. The only real plugin I *need* the 32bit LW for is Vue Xtream as I'm pretty sure I'd have to buy the 64 bit version which I don't want to do, but I only really need the 64 bit OS for projects involving HD Instance when using Final Gather, so if I if I had to buy another version of HD Instance then it's not as painful as giving money to eon and it'll easily be paid off in the project :)

dgon64
02-01-2008, 11:16 AM
HDI-32 and HDI-64 are seperate though relatively inexpensive purchases. I use HDI-32 with LW9-32 but later purchased HDI-64 to work with LW-64 on XP64 to be able to render a large landscape with thousands of trees and other plants. This scene wouldn't even load in LW-32 but works fine in LW64 although there is a limit ( I guess depends on your ram-I have 4G on XP 64 machine ) to the number of different types of plant objects in your scene. The biggest problem I've noticed is refresh rate when changing any setting in such a large scene. I use an "older" 7600 nvidia card and it can take a few seconds for display to refresh when I change any setting in scene. Thinking about getting a newer macine with much more ram and faster,newer display card but wonder how much really it would make a difference. BTW I use both versions on same computer-to have access as mentioned before to plugs stilll not made in 64-bit versions. Also, have dual boot configuration on a laptop with XP32 and Vista Ultimate that runs both versions pretty well. So for everything you've mentioned you're good to go-hope this helps.

kopperdrake
02-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Cheers dgon :) (is that short for ¨Dragon 64¨ by the way?). I've found updating things on an ATI XT1900 slow too, so I've no idea whether it's the card or just LW, but you're pretty much using your 64 bit versions for what I need them for - landscapes and lots of plants.

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

dgon64
02-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Cheers Kopper-very appropriate at the moment for me since I just got in from shoveling lots of snow and it made me quite thirsty so off to have a couple of beers with lunch. dgon is actually a conjunction of my first and last name but I like your take on it better. Good luck with your project although I must say I've found that Vue 5 and the demo version of Xstream6 I've downloaded to try out are of little use in my workflow. I use Vue mainly for exporting skies as it creates pretty cool looking skies but for other things I've never gotten it to work to my satisfaction. One main pet peeve I have with Vue is its extremely limited abilility to import a variety of DEM ( landscape ) objects. It works mainly with image-based DEMS which lack detail in a real world environment if that's what you're after. If you don't need an accurate depiction of a actual location and just want to add a general terrain to your project then Vue will do OK.
I also use another program which is called World Construction ( it also has its limitations -mainly surfacing ) that imports almost any Digital Elevation Model ( DEM ) and exports to LW marvellously. This program costs about $700 so I wouldn't recommend it unless you absolutely need accuracy of your real world landscape. Just my experiences in creating terrain for LW. I really hope to integrate VUE into my workflow but until certain idiosyncrasies get worked out I'll have to be patient. It has some amazing features but they need to work as advertised-maybe they've been worked out by now since I haven't touched Vue for about six months. Although from what I read on this forum, Vue still has issues. Good luck with your project and CHEERS!