PDA

View Full Version : Cinepaint: HDR solution for the mac....

archiea
07-12-2003, 02:15 AM
From the makers of of FilmGIMP

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/newthread.php?s=&action=newthread&forumid=25

the file you want (MacCinePaint-FimGimp-0.16-4.dmg.gz) is here...
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=75029

Instructions:
http://cinepaint.sourceforge.net/user/install.mac.html

Killer CinePaint Features
Typical GIMP/Photoshop Stuff
Visible Brushes
8/16/32-bits of Color per Channel (up to 128-bits RGBA)
Motion Picture File Formats: Kodak Cineon, ILM OpenEXR, Maya IFF, 32-bit TIFF
Frame Manager
Flipbook Player

I'm dl this now.
Figured I'd mention it first anyway...

Support for OpenEXR and having a flipbook is really interesting!!!!

You need to install the X11 windowing system in OS X. You can dl here...

http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/download/

A note to the newbies:

You need to install the Apple developer's tool CD, or DL it from the net (300+ MB!!!!)

Install X11 (very easy)

Install Cinepaint
Just click on it, it will automatically install. It takes a while in the terminal to finish compiling, but it gets done...

Beamtracer
07-12-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by archiea
From the makers of of FilmGIMPIt is FilmGimp, isn't it? I understood that the name was changed because everyone got it mixed up with the other program called Gimp.

Anyway, it's great news that they keep updating this thing. It is everything that Photoshop should be. It's amazing that open-source pioneers can achieve things that Adobe can't. Then again, Adobe couldn't care less about people like us (Lightwavers), as they still think their market is just desktop publishing.

Arthur, did you get Cinepaint working on your machine? Any difficulties getting it installed?

I think Cinepaint will become a lot more popular when you don't have to run it within Apple's X-11 (UNIX) environment. I heard they're still working on a version that runs in normal Aqua (desktop) interface.

TyVole
07-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Take a look at their future development page. Their goal is to create an application that encompasses film paiting, compositing, and editing. They specifically mention that they want include features found in FCP and Shake.

Pretty ambitious.

Johnny
01-27-2004, 07:40 AM
Is CinePaint an app that is companion to FCP or could it be instead of FCP?

I get the sense that CinePaint is used for adjusting and compositing, but FCP has (some of) those functions, too...

I'm still getting up to speed with FCP, and looking for more experienced viewpoints.

J

Beamtracer
01-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Cinepaint is as paint application (a bit like Photoshop, but Cinepaint can do things that Photoshop can't).

Final Cut Pro is an editing application for editing video.

drclare
01-27-2004, 04:44 PM
Basically, if you needed to touch up one, or several frames of your video you can bring those frames into cinepaint and edit them the way you would edit any still image, which you can't do right from within FCP. So it is very handy if you run into a render glitch on a few frames that you need to airbrush out or something.

Johnny
01-27-2004, 06:20 PM
very cool.....I downloaded it this evening and had it running in less than 15 mins..

I think my first practice with it will be to zap out an airplane that went by as I filmed the moon and whatever that planet is..slowly going by.

I almost can't even believe that such a fine tool is available for free...

J

Johnny
01-27-2004, 08:46 PM
I'm starting to get somewhere with CinePaint, but wanted to know if anyone has a manual?

I've done a lot of poking around at SourceForge, and CinePaint-related sites, and found only cursory "Documentation..."

Thanks for any help!

Johnny

archiea
01-27-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Johnny
Is CinePaint an app that is companion to FCP or could it be instead of FCP?

I get the sense that CinePaint is used for adjusting and compositing, but FCP has (some of) those functions, too...

I'm still getting up to speed with FCP, and looking for more experienced viewpoints.

J

I think you mean cinestream, a defunct editing packaged originally by Digital Origin and then by Discreet...

Johnny
01-27-2004, 09:38 PM
No...I mean cinepaint...the Open source film retouching app...