PDA

View Full Version : Bump displacment bug? Please help.

hairy_llama
07-11-2003, 10:19 PM
I am having a problem getting bump displacment working correctly. I made an object with a UVmap. I then copied the head only of the object and pasted it into a new object file. The head now has the exact same uv map and surfaces as the whole character, this way I can load it into layout and have much better interaction as there are now less polys. I then made a bumpmap image in photoshop and applied it to the object using the bump displacment feature, so the actual polys are displaced. Everything looks great. Check out image 1 below. Now I am ready to work on the rest of the body's bumpmap. I replace the head object with the full body object. As you can see in the second image it is now displacing the mesh way to much. I thought ok fine and turned the displacment amount down. Check out the third image. The top of the head is displaced as it should be but the farther down you go the more it gets displaced, so it is way to much at the bottom. It like a gradiant is applied to the bumpmap.
Can anyone help? its driving me mad. Thanks!

evenflcw
07-12-2003, 12:26 AM
I witnessed the same odd behavior a while back and wasn't able to get it to work correctly either. I'm sad to see this wierd bug(?) hasn't been fixed. Check the last post at this location for a possible solution: http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/23359.html?

hairy_llama
07-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Thanks! This is the type of thing that should NEVER have got into a released version of software. I think bump displacment came out with lw 7.0? or at least 7.5. That means it was not fixed in 2 or 3 upgrades. lw 7.5, lw7.5b, lw 7.5c. Hopefully that linear falloff trick will work and I won't have to wait untill lw 8 or later.