PDA

View Full Version : 3D Motion Control Camera suggestions anyone?

TheDynamo
01-30-2008, 12:51 PM
We're going to do a spot which features a Motion Control Camera rig on a green screen. Among our assets are Syntheyes, After Effects and Lightwave 3D 9.3. Are there any pointers out there that can help with integrating the information from the camera into Lightwave so we can build a virtual set around the talent? I do have a backup plan of the crew putting up poles every 2 feet or so with dots on it for syntheyes to track in case the camera data does not come through but since this is my first MoCo spot I would love some help :) Thanks much!

-Dyn

Lightwolf
01-30-2008, 03:01 PM
How is the motion control rig controlled, which software package?
I've written command line tools to convert data from Kupercontrols to LW envelopes and motion paths (as well as a suite of plugins to control a rig for a stop motion movie).
I believe the other major player out there is Flair and that should export a few different motion files.

It can get tricky if you want to control the camera from a LW path, but exporting the data and converting it for LW is fairly easy. Feel free to PM me.

Cheers,
Mike

TheDynamo
01-30-2008, 03:44 PM
That's great! I believe that the camera software is Flare (version 4 I think). I've heard talk that it can generate a maya .ma file but I haven't tired using syntheyes as a import-export conversion program before. I appreciate the help.

-Dyn

Lightwolf
01-30-2008, 04:03 PM
I've heard talk that it can generate a maya .ma file but I haven't tired using syntheyes as a import-export conversion program before.
Using SynthEyes won't work. It only exports (unless you matchmove anyhow, which could be a viable solution depending on the setting. Sometimes a motion control is only used to create repeatable movement - not to actually transfer it to a 3D package).

AE reads .ma files, so that should work.

I've just had a quick look at the FLAIR docs. The file format seems simple enough, but you'd require a script to convert it to something readable in LW (or loads of manual copy and pase).

Cheers,
Mike

TheDynamo
02-04-2008, 04:26 PM
The director decided to change companies to another company that does motion control. It uses Kupercontrols. If that was the case perhaps all I need is that script. I'll PM you shortly.

-Dyn