PDA

View Full Version : Matching sound to video

Skinner3D
01-29-2008, 04:35 PM
:D And now for another short-lived, die-quick, Q&A thread :D

I just animated my family logo using hard dynamics and collisions. Basically it falls and hits the floor, and the pieces go everywhere. How do I go about adding sound to that?

I have the sound clip that I am going to be using, but I couldn't animate it to the sound (which is the best way) for the above reason.

Is there a program (free or priced) that allows the user to watch the movie clip, and then record or edit sound files in real time based on that clip?

loki74
01-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Why not just play your render in QT or whatever, hook up your mic, make your noise, and line it up in your NLE?

Surrealist.
01-29-2008, 09:16 PM
If your NLE has the ability to record sound on the timeline you can do just that. Vegas is a sound recording as well as video editing suite. Basically any program that you could use to edit sound to picture and let you record will do. Check to see if the sound recording software you have or are interested in has the ability to play video as a preview. You could then set it to loop and record.

But baring this I would also consider the above solution using an NLE. But you could do it wild. You can record as many sounds as you like or even use the track(s) you have and just edit them in as you like, cutting, pasting, trimming if need be and so on, until you get the sounds where you want them. That's what I would do. Just put your sound designer hat on and go.:)

Skinner3D
01-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Im going to sound stupid, but NLE? I dont know what that is.
:o

I agree with both of your suggestions, but as it stands now I have to be able to see the movie and edit at the same time.

:foreheads: Now would be a good time to have 2 monitors :D

I am going to look around for full editing packages, like Vegas. If you have any other names that I can look into they would be greatly appreciated

Surrealist.
01-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Non Linear Editor and you don't have to have two monitors unless you want to and yes all of these apps I am talking about including some of the sound editing ones that allow you to have video preview do just what you need as far as seeing the movie and editing the sound in sync with it.

So what we are saying is you can create the sound "wild" which means just free of sync with anything, you know grab a mic point it at something, capture the sound, pots clanging etc., then you can edit it to fit the picture.

But I highly recommend Vegas as it is a great video editing suite on top of a great sound recording/editing package.

Also if you want to let go of some cash Sony also has a large library of film sound effects available. There are other libraries available too. There are also places you can pay per the clip for various sounds. There is quite a bit of sound effects available out there these days.

Skinner3D
02-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Ok that makes more sense now. As I am a college student still, I can get Vegas for quite a bit cheaper through academic superstore :D
I think I will end up buying it near the end of this month

Random comment :D
I went into the music department at college, yesterday, to find out if someone there could write some simple music to a 3D project I did for school. They were more than willing to do it, and they said if I ever needed help with sound effects etc, to look them up
;D

Surrealist.
02-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Great. Good Luck with it.

loki74
02-03-2008, 07:11 PM
As a college student, you can probably do one better--does your campus have a "multimedia lab" (or something along those lines)? Many times, campuses will have computer labs equipped with some pretty high end software/hardware, which you can use. My college doesn't even have a film program, and has maybe 2 videography courses, and we have such a lab...

Of course, if you need to be frequently using the software, buy it by all means... but it never hurts to look at what resources you have available for free (or close to free). Also, shop around... Vegas is a great NLE, but you may find another app that better suits your needs.