PDA

View Full Version : projection through light is soft

Richard_99_uk
07-11-2003, 03:28 PM
Hi eveyone, I'm a bit of a beginner on lightwave. I'm trying to create a sort of reflective look with some text being projected on to it.

I've managed to create the reflection but i can't make the projection look any stronger, the words are very faint. I've highlighted the text which is a simple image I made in Photoshop.

If anyone can help me I apreciate it!
- Richard:confused:

toby
07-11-2003, 08:02 PM
can you be more descriptive, or post an image?

reflective objects need to have diffuse vey low, almost off, or the reflection gets blown out - does that help?

Richard_99_uk
07-12-2003, 04:00 AM
I tried to post an image but it up loaded it to somewhere and didn't tell me where. I called it help.jpg

I tried the difuse but the projection was still far too low.

toby
07-12-2003, 04:06 AM
"reflective look with some text being projected on to it. "

Projected onto what? Is the text really projected or just seen in a reflection?

You're going to have to tell us exactly what you're trying to do, and post a *problem* image and tell us what you want to change.

Richard_99_uk
07-12-2003, 04:27 AM
That is a problem image

If you look carefully where I've circled you'll see that there's some very faint text which I'm projecting throughg a light shining down on the object.

I've attached a screen dump in layout this is how I've arranged it. I'm trying to get a reflective surface becuase it looks pretty and then project a title I've made in photoshop like a projection throough the light. If you look at the screen shot above you'll see the ringed area is the text but its extreemly faint.

toby
07-12-2003, 03:20 PM
I'm sorry, I only saw a generic black&white 'icon' image saying 'from the creator of xenogear' until I came back today.

I HATE VBULLETIN!!!!!!!!!!
VBULLETIN IS THE BLIGHT OF THE INTERNET!!!!!!!!!

('scuse me I've been wanting to say that forever)

toby
07-12-2003, 03:30 PM
Between the reflection and luminosity, you're not going to be able to see anything that a light projects... how about putting the text into a reflection map, or map it onto a polygon and raytrace it's reflection

Richard_99_uk
07-13-2003, 10:38 AM
How would I go about doing that?

Sorry about before I did post the wrong image by accident to start with

Simon
07-13-2003, 12:56 PM
Why not approach things from the opposite direction. Have your lettering image as white lettering on a black background, put that in the spotlight then set the light value to a minus amount and it will take light away from the surface where you want the letters.

Richard_99_uk
07-13-2003, 04:14 PM
that sounds a good idea, I'll try that thanks! btw I like the pic of eddy one of my favourite comedies.

iandavis
07-20-2003, 06:43 PM
I have messed a bit with projection... I may be stating the obvious, but have you tried increasing the light value beyond 100%?

If you want dark text showing on the object, I too would create a 'white text on black' image and use -200% (or so) for the light strength. Most texture channels in LW simply allow you to invert them, but I can't remember about lights.

Good luck.