PDA

View Full Version : OS for new PC

jefeb
01-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Hello everyone!
Still putting together the new PC
Just wondering which operating system to use.
I currently am using Windows XP pro 32 bit with LW 8.5
Plan to upgrade to 9.3 on the new system and want the best OS.
Recomendations?
Thanks
Jeff

hrgiger
01-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Do you want to use more then 3GB of RAM? Then you'll probably want either Vista or XP 64 bit.

jefeb
01-28-2008, 09:19 PM
2 G of ram

ted
01-28-2008, 09:32 PM
I can't complain about our Vista Ultimate 64 experience. We upgraded about 6 months ago when we built our new system.
6 months ago it might have been a tougher call. But at this point, it's a much easier decision.
LW is all primed for 64 bit from what I hear, so I would go with the latest and greatest whenever starting new. Very much JMHO though.

hrgiger
01-29-2008, 07:09 PM
2 G of ram

You're going to want more then 2 GB of RAM. Especially if you go with Vista. You'll want 3GB at the minimum.

Hopper
01-30-2008, 08:35 PM
You're going to want more then 2 GB of RAM. Especially if you go with Vista. You'll want 3GB at the minimum.
:agree:

If you can get more RAM, do so. If you can't, load XP until you can. Vista is like Oracle - it will take ALL of it if you let it.

If you have the time, load more than one OS on the same box (or one at a time - if you have LOTS of time) and test for yourself. I'd throw the Mac OS in there too for good measure if you're willing to give something new a try. It's all Intel based now, so why not. I have my preferences and can "OS-Bash" all day, but since your question wasn't about personal OS preference, I'd stick with a "try them all and see which one works best for you" approach.

-Hopper

Hopper
01-31-2008, 06:50 PM
Yes, Vista will use your RAM intelligently in every way it can! It will also free up that RAM when it's requested by other applications. Last time I checked Vista used 395Mb of RAM for itself, including an instance of Messenger. Which is much the same as XP.

Vista has much better memory handling than XP, you just have to understand how it works.
Very true. I prefer to handle memory manually. When my XP boots, it takes 51MB of RAM and I'm only running 12 processes (absolute minimum for kernel and network). Then I simply turn on any service or app I need for what I'll be doing. So for LW it's easy - I don't turn anything on and I get the most from my system. Of course, this is not a preferred method for most because frankly, it truly is a pain in the rear, but when you're working with a dinosaur like mine, you need all the tweaking you can get.

I've gotten Vista 32bit to boot with 93MB RAM used, but then it just whines and complains the whole time. It's WAY faster than if you let it manage itself, but if I'd spring for the new hardware, I'd leave it alone and let it do its job.