PDA

View Full Version : CGTALK forums infected:-beware!

cresshead
01-28-2008, 11:08 AM
cgtalk forums are currently infected with trojan viruses within some of their swf [flash] adverts on the site...if your led off to improve your speed of your computer control alt delete your browser pronto!:stop:

:)

it was still there this afternoon....btw.

evenflcw
01-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Oh No! How will we know when it's safe to return!? 8~

cresshead
01-28-2008, 11:39 AM
give them a day to sort it out...there's a thread in the general section if your brave enough to go there!

Steamthrower
01-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Use AdBlock Plus on Firefox...or go to it on a Mac...

Medi8or
01-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Which site did you get redirected to?

I was redirected to minnesparere.com . Not really a problem, just hit Escape, Back, and added the site to Operas Blocklist..

Some similar sites to block, while you're at it:

harddriveguard.com
avsystemcare.com
errorsafe.com

serge
01-29-2008, 04:38 AM
I got redirected to this one (using Firefox 2):

performanceoptimizer.com

serge
01-29-2008, 05:09 AM
And another one to add to the block list: scanner2.malware-scan.com. Happened right now when I was reading the CGtalk thread about the viruses.

mattclary
01-29-2008, 07:21 AM
How the hell does a friendly site get broken like that?!? Did someone hack in and make the changes? Why the he11 didn't they just shut the site down and fix it?

MooseDog
01-29-2008, 07:31 AM
has to do with the flash files they serve up as advertising.

my memory is fuzzy, but a couple of months ago roughly the same thing happened to major sites like espn and cnn.

Titus
01-29-2008, 07:34 AM
How the hell does a friendly site get broken like that?!? Did someone hack in and make the changes? Why the he11 didn't they just shut the site down and fix it?

A fast and obvious solution is to stop ads until they solve the issue, but this ain't gonna happen.

3dworks
01-29-2008, 07:43 AM
good to be on mac ;)

markus

Steamthrower
01-29-2008, 08:25 AM
good to be on mac ;)

markus

Yep.

Shame though that this happens. Once there was a niche website community for a small 3d software that I played around with years ago. Then the site was hacked and after they got it going again, it was over, forever, absolutely.

Of course something as big as CGtalk won't be permanently affected, but I always get mad at the zit-faced Russian punk kid who dreams up trojans.

mattclary
01-29-2008, 09:00 AM
I use Firefox and Adblock+ so I never even see ads anymore...

Medi8or
01-29-2008, 10:47 AM
good to be on mac ;)Right. You may not be infected, but you still get the annoying redirection to offending website. :p

iconoclasty
01-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Whereas if you're a competent pc user you're protected with the proper tools. Firefox w/ abp + noScript

Steamthrower
01-29-2008, 02:32 PM
How about Mac with Firefox with Adblock+ with NoScript?

iconoclasty
01-29-2008, 02:45 PM
What's the point? Macs are invulnerable to everything.

jeremyhardin
01-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Nothing is invulnerable. There are one or two mac malware instances out there to date. Just less vulnerable. And pretty quick to close holes.

Take the qt7.4 update, for example. It closes a hole that allowed (on mac and pc) malicious code execution in movies.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307301

In short, even people in a hummer can be in an accident, and a fatal one. Careless browsing/downloading can bring down any computer. There's no substitute to using some good old common sense.

inquisitive
01-30-2008, 03:39 AM
cgtalk forums are currently infected with trojan viruses within some of their swf [flash] adverts on the site...if your led off to improve your speed of your computer control alt delete your browser pronto!:stop:

:)

it was still there this afternoon....btw.

Firefox with no script will prevent ads from displaying.. bad when you trying to make a few bucks on your site, but good when you need to be protected from that type of issue.

inquisitive
01-30-2008, 03:43 AM
Nothing is invulnerable. There are one or two mac malware instances out there to date. Just less vulnerable. And pretty quick to close holes.

Take the qt7.4 update, for example. It closes a hole that allowed (on mac and pc) malicious code execution in movies.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307301

In short, even people in a hummer can be in an accident, and a fatal one. Careless browsing/downloading can bring down any computer. There's no substitute to using some good old common sense.

I got infected by that on a pc.. vt4 didnt work with qt7 so i had qt6, virus checker notified me but still got infected, sucks to reformat the drive.. now back with vt5 and qt7.4 and a new virus checker.

Red_Oddity
01-30-2008, 07:23 AM
Firefox with no script will prevent ads from displaying.. bad when you trying to make a few bucks on your site, but good when you need to be protected from that type of issue.

Then maybe they need to leech some more money out of their CGSociety members, the site is a mess as it is anyway, slow browsing, no serious question ever gets answered (unless you need to know how to shade shiny boobies or cars), etc.

Anyhoo...spam refering banners and complete movies as banners are the reason i run firefox with Adblock and NoScript.

Steamthrower
01-30-2008, 07:40 AM
I can't stand CGtalk myself personally for the very reasons that Red Oddity mentioned above. Yes, mayhaps I do have fast DSL, but it's still ridiculously bloated and the community is simply too big. That's the benefit of a small community like here on the NT forums (with perhaps 100 or 200 active and helpful folks instead of 6,000 active folks).

Anyway.

jeremyhardin
01-30-2008, 07:57 AM
CGT has definitely outlived it's usefulness for me.

Glendalough
01-30-2008, 08:14 AM
Nothing is invulnerable. There are one or two mac malware instances out there to date. ...
...In short, even people in a hummer can be in an accident, and a fatal one.

Ach mein Gott! Don't compare an Apple to a Hummer!

jeremyhardin
01-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Hehe, in the context of it's vulnerability. Versus a Kia, for example. Not getting into the usual car analogy. Just talking about the fact that no matter how vulnerable something is, it still needs a good driver.

No matter how secure a computer is, it still needs common sense browsing and usage. An idiot can destroy a mac or pc.

Steamthrower
01-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Mercedes-Benz vs. Hyundai.

There's the comparison.

And that's right. Rule of thumb for me is, if it has flashing ads everywhere, and red text on a black background, don't go there.

mattclary
01-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Ach mein Gott! Don't compare an Apple to a Hummer!

No doubt! One is an overpriced status symbol!

And yeah, I used to spend a lot of time at CGTalk, rarely go there now.

Red_Oddity
01-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Hehe, in the context of it's vulnerability. Versus a Kia, for example. Not getting into the usual car analogy. Just talking about the fact that no matter how vulnerable something is, it still needs a good driver.

No matter how secure a computer is, it still needs common sense browsing and usage. An idiot can destroy a mac or pc.

Yeah, but i believe the US army quit their contract with Hummer because they where deemed, unsafe...
But, when you need to swat irritating drivers agains a side rail, a Hummer will do just fine.

Stooch
01-30-2008, 01:57 PM
vista home premium here with nod32 antivirus. only thing i saw was a virus warning and pressed the ok button to kill it.