PDA

View Full Version : How to control morph with rotation

sticks3d
01-28-2008, 04:31 AM
Is it possible to control the morphing of one object with the rotation of another object?

www.gary3d.com

evenflcw
01-28-2008, 04:41 AM
Yes. Just click the Envelope button beside the morph slider and either add an expression, channel follower or cyclist to tie the morph to the rotation channel.

sticks3d
01-28-2008, 06:01 AM
When I have the morph envelope of the first object follow the rotation channel of the second object, nothing happens.
I would use an expression, but, have not been able to come up with one.
Relativity is not very intuitive and I have not been able to find any examples in 3 LightWave books or on the web.

Surrealist.
01-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Adding an expression could not be simpler. With the graph editor open from the Morph Mixer, start a new expression and then load up the channel for the item who's rotation you want. Right click on the channel and choose append to expression. Make sure and delete the word "Value" from the field so it looks like this:

[Item.Rotation.H]

Then load up the Morph channel and click apply. The rotation of that item will now drive the morph.

But for better control, a more fine-tuned control, I would use Cycler, (Modifier tab of the Graph Editor). If you need help setting that up let us know. It is really simple to do.

dccpro
01-28-2008, 12:54 PM
dont forget the /100 after that! Then one full rotation will be 100% of the morph

sticks3d
01-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Worked perfectly.

Thanks Surrealist (and dccpro and evenflcw)

I did have to divide by 360 to get 100 percent morph.
Attached is a sample scene.

Surrealist.
01-28-2008, 02:08 PM
dont forget the /100 after that! Then one full rotation will be 100% of the morph

Ahh! Thanks for that. I knew there was a way to do that was was not sure how. :)

sticks3d, glad you got it working.