PDA

View Full Version : Windows LightWave on a MacTel

gatz
01-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Can anyone running Lightwave (or other windows apps) under Bootcamp or Parallels point out any tips or gotchas? I've read that XP is still available, are there any reasons to go Vista? Does anyone have any experience with (or links to someone else's) performance differences between the virtual and boot environments? I've heard about licensing issues with some apps that use internet activation. Anyone have any tips that will make the setup as painless as possible?

THX

rg

meshpig
01-27-2008, 05:00 PM
I've used 9.2 on XP/bootcamp, it's actually swifter than it is on OSX. Not enough to make me switch; I use windows for games mostly and only have/want a 20 GB partition, not nearly enough to support LW.

Wouldn't know about Vista other than it's expensive and will take up more space. I guess you mean the 64 bit version?

As far as internet connection is concerned, you can register your product from any platform; you just put in your serial number and dongle id and
get the activation code.

The dongle will work on bootcamp and on OSX.

Any particular reason why you'd bother? Also Parallels and vmware are useless for LW.

m

Captain Obvious
01-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Windows on a Mac is just like Windows on any other x86 machine.

gatz
01-27-2008, 09:01 PM
Zbrush 3.1 and an assortment of plugins are why I'd bother. I was also thinking about looking at some Maya to LW options. It's the Autodesk apps that seem to loose their authorization. I don't know if this is true of dongled licenses. And no, I'm not interested as yet in 64 bit Vista. I just haven't heard any compelling reasons to choose Vista over XP and quite a few in the contrary.

rg

Steamthrower
01-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Don't bother with LW under Parallels. It's literally crap.

Vujaka
01-28-2008, 10:22 AM
What else can you use except Parallels, with Lightwave under Windows on OS?

3dworks
01-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Can anyone running Lightwave (or other windows apps) under Bootcamp or Parallels point out any tips or gotchas? I've read that XP is still available, are there any reasons to go Vista? Does anyone have any experience with (or links to someone else's) performance differences between the virtual and boot environments? I've heard about licensing issues with some apps that use internet activation. Anyone have any tips that will make the setup as painless as possible?

THX

rg

to use LW at its best, use bootcamp. any virtual environment should be at least 30% slower. only advantage is that you can use OSx and windows at the same time.

have a look here: http://www.macwindows.com/

dedicated site to all mac + windows users...

cheers

markus

Steamthrower
01-28-2008, 11:02 AM
All I know is that Parallels provides the worst possible OpenGL support I've ever seen. There are other virtual machine software (like VMware Fusion) that do the same thing, but essentially it's limiting the actual power that you can use...unless you have an insane amount of RAM it bogs everything down.

Boot camp is definitely the way to go if you need the Windows side of LW...like Sasquatch or Fprime for example.

Phil
01-29-2008, 06:59 AM
You might find CrossOver Office works better for some things as well - http://www.codeweavers.com

It doesn't work with Windows drivers (e.g. dongles, etc.), but can be persuaded to run, for example, 3d-brush. I keep meaning to try the ZBrush demo.

akrantz
01-29-2008, 08:16 AM
My two cents is about the same as everyone else but I figured I would chime in. LW in Bootcamp works like LW on any other windows box, XP is a faster operating system overall so it will out perform Vista, also on Bootcamp there is a problem recognizing more then 2 GB of RAM in Vista unless you use the 64 bit version but there are no boot camp drivers for that. Rumor sites claim that will be changing soon though. Running LW in Parallells or VM Fusion isn't going to work in any real capacity so I wouldn't even bother installing it if I were you. In the end because of RAM issues I just use LW on OSX, im not really sure if im winning or losing though because the windows version of the software responds faster and supports more plug-ins. Hope that helps.

Captain Obvious
01-29-2008, 08:55 AM
XP is a faster operating system overall so it will out perform Vista
Eh, not really. Vista has improved memory management, and seems better at prioritizing the tasks that really matter (such as UI). Yes, the graphical user interface itself is slower, but it's not really that big a deal IMO.

ncr100
12-15-2008, 12:17 AM
I can model in 9.2, 9.5 on my Mac running LW via VMWare Fusion.

I get decent FPS editing wireframes, that is.