PDA

View Full Version : LW8 Character Animation by Timothy Albee, Reviews?

Nicolas Jordan
01-26-2008, 08:15 PM
I am thinking about getting Lightwave 8 Character Animation by Timothy Albee and wanted to know if anyone here has been through it and would recommend it. I got LW8 Cartoon Character Creation: Volume 2: Rigging and Animation by Jonny Gorden a while back and really enjoyed it and learned lots from it! I am more interested in rigging that animation and also wanted to know what the rigging/animation ratio was in this book. If anyone can give me some info about this book it would be much appreciated. :)

Surrealist.
01-26-2008, 09:06 PM
The book has some really good rigging techniques and I would say it is worth it just for that alone. Timothy's rigs are very lean but well thought out. You won't find expressions, special foot rigging or any other fancy stuff. Just straight ahead easy to use rig with a minimum of controls that is geared toward a more free-form animation technique.. There is a lot of information packed into it. Then he goes into quite a bit of animation technique and exercises. At the end he gets into some philosophical stuff that you may or may not appreciate. However the rigging portion is quite extensive and informative. At least it was to me. For you, some of it may repeat.

He does teach the use of weightmaps though I have used the rigs with bones only along with my own custom hold bone configurations which are easy to attach to his lean setup.

So if you are interested in rigging it is good to at least know weightmaps as well as one very workable easy-to-use rig that has been production-tested in TV and film.

I highly recommend it to add to your arsenal. I think you can never get too much information, tools and tips.

Nicolas Jordan
01-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the informative reply Richard. The books sounds like it is what I am looking for. I want to see different approaches to rigging in Lightwave and sounds like Albee is unique in hist method. :)