PDA

View Full Version : Vista 64bit on Mac Pro?

kopperdrake
01-26-2008, 04:50 AM
I'm running an 8-core 3Ghz MacPro and was wondering if anyone had dared install Vista 64bit in Bootcamp?

dsol
01-30-2008, 09:05 AM
The latest Bootcamp update supposedly adds this feature, though I don't know anyone who's tried it yet. Post here to let us know how you get on though - I'm just about to order a 2.8Ghz 8-core MacPro myself and I'd like to put vista64 (or XP64) on there

kopperdrake
01-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Ah yes - the bootcamp update. I'm not entirely sure my bootcamp is the latest - it's been on there since it was beta. I updated to Leopard but don't know if this would have updated bootcamp in the process or if that's another matter. I've not had the time to tinker with it as the Mac's been kept busy rendering since I've had it!

If and when I do it I'll be sure to let you know - I need to do something soonish :/

Dan_NT
02-01-2008, 10:31 AM
From what I know all versions of XP and Vista, both 32 and 64 should work under Boot Camp and have been supported for some time. I would definitely look into what PC users prefer though; XP-64 or Vista-64.

hairudon
02-04-2008, 10:07 AM
i have it on my macbook, runs flawlessly

John the Geek
02-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Only the newest Mac Pro models are shipping with any 64-Bit Windows drivers, and they are only Vista at this time. These are the Mac Pros released just last month.

All earlier versions are 32-Bit drivers only. How Apple is going to propagate those drivers to every other 64-Bit (Core2/Xeon) Mac user retroactively is anyone's guess. Theoretically, every Leopard user is already entitled to them, or some form of update, simply because they bought Leopard (or a machine that came with leopard) Since Boot Camp is a publicly advertised feature of the Leopard product.

It wouldn't be hard to pull them off one of the new discs and make a separate ISO image of it, but I don't think Apple would approve of such a thing. My advice would be to contact Apple and complain that you want an updated Leopard disc with Vista 64-Bit drivers. See what they say.

-John