PDA

View Full Version : Ridicuolusly OT - Half-Life 2

IMI
01-25-2008, 11:08 PM
I decided to play through Half-Life 2 again, then on to Episode One and Episode Two from the Orange Box collection. Been there, done that already, but...well, it's Half-Life - it's more than entertaining as far as games go. :)

One thing I noticed which I hadn't before. Since I'm playing this on a 64-bit PC, I see at the top of the splash screen it says "64-bit mode active".
I'm wondering if anyone knows what that means. I bought HL-2 when I only had a 32 bit machine. I was wondering if Steam uploaded some kind of 64-bit update to my installation.
Anyone know if this means something other than the game simply being aware it's being played on a 64-bit machine?

Aside from that, man, I really love this game - it's especially nice in 1680x1050 at 4x AA.
"Nobody goes to Ravenhold..." Well, I can see why. Those zombies are truly pathetically terrifying, especially with a good sound card. ;)

Jarno
01-25-2008, 11:44 PM
If you have HL2 under Steam control, then very probably it did do an update. I have no idea what the differences are. Maybe it allows for a bigger memory cache? Some faster computations which you don't notice as it's pretty speedy on today's machines anyway?

I'm currently working my way through the commentary on episode 1. I find the concept of having developer commentary in a game quite interesting.

---JvdL---

IMI
01-26-2008, 12:04 AM
The only thing I can figure is it must have done an update. I bought and played HL-2 first over a year ago, while on my older 32 bit box, but have since moved everything over to my new 64-bit Vista PC. Obviously it never gave me that message before.
I allow Steam to always runs when Windows starts, and every now and then, it does an update, but I never check to see what for. I figure they have it under control. ;)

Yeah, I like the developer commentary too. They also have that in Episodes 1 and 2, as well as in Portal. Very cool feature. Adds a little bit of reality behind the fantasy, plus it's a cool insight.

Red_Oddity
01-26-2008, 08:34 AM
If you have HL2 under Steam control, then very probably it did do an update. I have no idea what the differences are. Maybe it allows for a bigger memory cache? Some faster computations which you don't notice as it's pretty speedy on today's machines anyway?

I'm currently working my way through the commentary on episode 1. I find the concept of having developer commentary in a game quite interesting.

---JvdL---

You'll like Butcher Bay then aswell...
First time i saw a game with commentary during gameplay, and one of the first movie tie in games that was actually better than most shooters to start with.

Hopper
01-26-2008, 09:41 AM
From what I have heard/read, the difference is pretty much what you would think... better, faster, etc... Graphics-wise, all rendering is identical with the exception of water. 32-bit version uses heavy "glare" to minimize rendering computations but still leaves the water looking life-like. The 64-bit version renders everything and only uses reflections.

Check out the difference. 1st image is 32 bit, 2nd one is 64.

Tzan
01-26-2008, 11:14 AM
I see the 64bit version also improves the weapon selection. :)

IMI
01-26-2008, 12:31 PM
I hadn't noticed that about the graphics because it's been a while since I played it in 32 bit, but yes, you're right. Much better.
It is a very fast game. I don't know the frame rate I'm getting, but it's got to be way up there. No lag at all, anywhere.
They did an excellent job of Episodes one and two, also. I'd say even better graphics, still with no slowdowns or lag. Both excellent games too, though too short.
I can't wait to see what they have planed for the future. :)

iconoclasty
01-26-2008, 12:48 PM
I see the 64bit version also improves the weapon selection. :)

:D
I upgraded the processor in my crossbow and it turned into a shotgun.

warrenwc
01-26-2008, 04:46 PM
I also noticed upon re-playing recently, that some minor parts of the story & some locations of objects (ie puzzel solution items & enemy aircraft crash sites) had changed since the last time I played.
Also;
Portal ROCKS!
Also:
HopperZ- HATE your animated avatar- Tried to kill it as I have a gnat problem in computer room.:thumbsdow

cagey5
01-26-2008, 06:35 PM
HopperZ- HATE your animated avatar- Tried to kill it as I have a gnat problem in computer room.:thumbsdow

:agree: Grrrrr

cresshead
01-27-2008, 07:16 AM
hooper love your avatar...had me going for a few secs for a real gnat...funny!

http://www.cresshead.com/wip_wait/bugavatar.gif