PDA

View Full Version : 3-4 hours to load scene!

itemone
01-25-2008, 12:54 PM
hi, I've been working on a scene that started out taking about 5-10 minutes to load......it now takes 3-4 hours just to open the file!!

Does anyone know what might cause this to happen?

The only difference between the two files ('5-10mins' and '3-4 hours') is that I've 'loaded items from scene' to be used as a camera rig (the files only contains 5 NULLs linked up as a camera rig)

Thanks in advance.

Itemone.

Steamthrower
01-25-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm surprised you actually timed how long it would take to load the scene...are you on a Mac? Or on a PC? And what's your specs?

Where's the other scene located that you're loading items from? Same directory?

itemone
01-25-2008, 01:08 PM
...I can't really believe it myself that I actually sat there waiting for the scene to load (3-4 hrs)....I'm using 2 Mac laptops, so I'm doing camera animations on one laptop while the other renders the scene, so I didn't actually sit there watching the loading progress for 3-4 hours.

I know a laptop isn't ideal for 3d animation, but it's still strange the scene jumps from 5-10 minutes to 3-4 hours to load, when the files are almost identical!

Steamthrower
01-25-2008, 01:11 PM
I use a MBP for Lightwave and it really doesn't give me any problems using a laptop. As a matter of fact I've seriously considered going laptop-only in the future, because portability pays for itself.

I'm thinking that perhaps the scene file you're loading items from is over a network or something? If that's truly the only change to the scene, then that might be the problem.

itemone
01-25-2008, 01:18 PM
...I transfer the files using a USB stick...I will be replacing the laptop in the near future, with another laptop...I don't think the problem is the laptop.

Thanks for your time.

Steamthrower
01-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Perhaps try using this plugin from Jeremy Hardin?

http://lwidof.net/jeremy/lscript/load_save_camera.zip

Steamthrower
01-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Never mind, sorry, looks like that Lscript was broken with the introduction of 9.0...

evenflcw
01-25-2008, 02:43 PM
You forgot to mention something critical when debugging this issue. How big are the scene files (in bytes)? Your LW version might also provide some clues.

I seem to remember an old issue with multiple instances of a master plugin being added automatically over and over, bloating the scene files with plugin data. So... how may master plugins do you have applied? If excessively many, that is very likely it. Just remove the ones you didn't add yourself. If you find that you had multiple entries for the Scene Editor, you are using the wrong command to open up it's interface. There is one to create a new instance, and one to edit the last instance. You should be using the latter, Open Scene Editor.