PDA

View Full Version : Getting the best key

boblutjen
01-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Hello Everyone,
Just wondering what kind of key (good or bad) people have gotten using different cameras outputs (S, component, or composite) with TC Studio.
I will hopefully be purchasing 3 new cameras for a small studio and, of course, want the cleanest key but i'd also like to try and keep costs as low as possible.
Thanks for your input,
Bob

andrew.lipson
01-25-2008, 12:18 PM
I've used both Y/Composite BNC and Y/C SVideo camera inputs and have gotten clean keys with both. I think you'll be happy either way. If you have the budget and a nearby rental house, rent one of each of the cameras you are considering buying for a day and see how you like the key with each one. Then, you will be assured happiness with your new purchase.

CreatvGnius
01-30-2008, 05:48 PM
I've used both Y/Composite BNC and Y/C SVideo camera inputs and have gotten clean keys with both. I think you'll be happy either way. If you have the budget and a nearby rental house, rent one of each of the cameras you are considering buying for a day and see how you like the key with each one. Then, you will be assured happiness with your new purchase.

Y/C and Composite keying done nicely for us...
-PeterG

boblutjen
01-31-2008, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the info. One question i can't seem to find an answer to is what is the relationship of mini-dv cameras recorded signal to that of the video signal output. In other words,,,, is 4:1:1 just a limitation of the mini-dv recorded medium or is it also a limitation of the video output?

billmi
01-31-2008, 08:31 AM
I suppose it would depend on the camera, but I am under the impression that most which have composite and Y/C output in addition to Firewire, work with the full video as the analog feed, to avoid a lag as the video gets compressed and decompressed in and out of the firewire format.

Adam_LightPlay
02-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Yes, virtually all DV cameras that I have seen, don't compress the video going out the live ports.
As far as the original question, you should get great quality with either the Y/C or Component out. Don't use the Composite out. That has too much dot crawl/ shimmer.
3-chip and good lighting help a lot, too.

sbrandt
02-05-2008, 12:32 PM
"And remember, there's no more important safety messege than to wear these...your safety glasses."

Oops...wrong show...

Actually, keep in mind not to over-light and blow out your green screen.

Even light is more important than strong light on the screen.

tntech
02-06-2008, 06:38 AM
I am still getting dot crawl and shimmer using the component video inputs. Its most noticeable around the hairline. Just bought three new studio camera's thinking that would solve the problem but it hasn't.The camera's are the JVC -HD250. Any ideals on how to fix this problem?

boblutjen
02-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Could the shimmer be caused by the 1/3 inch chips?
We have decided (unless i hear otherwise) to not go with the JVC 250's and instead buy 3 Sony PMW-EX1's to have the 1/2 inch chips.

billmi
02-07-2008, 06:47 AM
And or cabling that is not well shielded, or running near AC lines.

tntech
02-07-2008, 07:11 AM
I am using these camera's in a studio configuration with CCU's and a 26 pin cable. Dont think it's a cable issue. I wonder if it might be the configuration? These camera's display 16 x 9 native. They are set to display 4 x3. You can check out the stream here. Open Windows Media Player,go to open url and copy and paste this url. http://149.149.126.140:1346/

tntech
02-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Had to kill the stream for today. Will try again monday.