PDA

View Full Version : lightwave for vista 64 install info>>

cresshead
01-25-2008, 08:49 AM
lightwave for vista install info>>

just been having a bit of fun trying to get lightwave up n running on my vista pc...the licence file did not seem to work as i was stuck in 'demo mode'

well with some fantastic support form newtek europe over the telephone...THANK YOU!:)
they helped me update sentinel drivers as well as go n find ''uac'' ...aka user account control and direct me to turn it off as the license file did not seem to have been created even when you go thru the license utility and enter the code and hit accept etc.

note the utility will always say you have created a file even when you haven't...so be aware of that...i had the program window open and no new file was created...you can tell as if a new file is created the scroll bar will move to indicate that the contents have grown/increased in files

usually uac will pop up a window whenever you try n do anything that may change the o/s ie installing apps but uac did not show or do anything when trying to enter the code in the lightwave license utility but having the program window open in the background as i ran the utility it was evident that no file was actually being written in there...

so...we switched off uac and re booted and tried again...

now happy bunny!...got lightwave all licensed up on vista 64 ultimate on my quad core [dark star]
just need to update my graphics card drivers now...and wait for the new beta of lightwave to drop!

:D

JohnMarchant
01-25-2008, 09:00 AM
Hey cresshead what are your experiances with vista and lightwave. Im getting a new system, quad core,8 gb memory and vista premium. How hard are the drivers to find. Ive heard some horrendous stories.

Regards, John

Cougar12dk
01-25-2008, 09:01 AM
What a wonderful kick in the pants the UAC is (when you're just starting up with Vista and don't know a damned thing about it) :)

Glad to hear it's sorted :)

@John: I've had no trouble with drivers. So unless you have ages old hardware there shouldn't be any problems, even the old HW is getting updated drivers (not saying they are all there yet) for Vista.

cresshead
01-25-2008, 09:15 AM
uac is the most annoying thing...it would be fine [ish..] of it were consistent in how it saw and took action but as you can see with the licence utility..no pop up UAC warning came up...but uac WAS the reason lightwave was not able to write the file...

BUT...you can turn it off...

i'm not sure if UAC also stopped me from formatting my NEW external usb hard disc drive...i wanted to use the vista ultimate backup utility for the pc but when i tried it said my external disc i had chosen could not be used as it was not NTFS formated...and then vista wold not let me format it!!
HAHA!!

so pulled the drive and put it onlt my xp home laptop and formatted it...then put it back over on the vista box so i could use it...but now i have turned UAC off it may well let me do such things now...

the only other thing's i have found is that yup we have 64bit versions of lightwave and 3dsmax [i have both] but quicktime is not recompiled to 64bit so you won't be able to render out to quicktime format and also your options on codecs for avi will be a list of maybe 3 rather than the ususal huge list to choose from...

so....you REALLY should also install the 32bit versions of lightwave and max etc..then you'll be able to use quicktime as an option for rendering and making previews..also AH_celshader is not in the 64bit version of lightwave but i was told today there is a cel shade node now available which is 64bit compatible..
need to check that out...as well as update lightwave from the install disc version [9.2] to 9.31

other than that vista is okay actually...some tings got renamed for no reason in windows control panel...add n remove programs is now programs and features for example...

overall it's worth the effort...you just need to find how to take back control of your pc from vista's UAC's back seat driving!!!...

of course microsoft did UAC for a reason...to help keep pc's from being ruined by non 'pc aware' users stumbling around in the dark..

but for us...turning UAC off makes vista much more usable...for me anyways!

Cougar12dk
01-25-2008, 09:20 AM
:) yes.... sory, forgot to say.... I, of course, have turned it off as well.

Regarding the codec thing.... same thing with DiVX.... it's a bit .....annoying.....to have to render my animations in 32bit, when 64 is what I generally use to set the animations up.

But oh, well...........can't have it all :rolleyes: *sigh*

theo
01-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Oddly, I've had no issues with UAC turned on and I've been using LW64 for several months now.

CAClark
01-25-2008, 09:28 AM
I never turned of UAC and my LW32 & 64 installed and ran fine. The only problems I have is with Vista 64 keep deciding it needs reactivating, but not accepting the valid product key with it.

Cheers!

dballesg
01-25-2008, 11:18 AM
In another thread Stooch pointed out a really nifty utility to turn ON/OFF the UAC.

It is called TweakUAC:

http://www.tweak-uac.com/

I've been using Vista for several months, and my only problem are the drivers for my Quadro 2500M (I am on a Dell Laptop).

So I use the ones on Laptopvideo2go, but I am having a strange jumping on the screen with the latests 169.xx series.

Aside of that, I can not complain with Vista.

David