PDA

View Full Version : HVs and Vmaps?

Chrusion
01-24-2008, 07:02 PM
Am I missing something (because I've never tried it until now and I can't imagine why such a feature hasn't been clamored for by now), but how do you colorize HVs applied to an object that has a Color Vmap? 'Use Particle Color' option does nothing. No inputs to do so in Texture Gradients. Hmmmm... Seems this would be a very very basic thing to do.

Same for HV size (geometry)... How do you Size HVs applied to an object that has a Weight Vmap? Particle Weight in the Texture Gradient input is only for weights created by a PFX emitter. Hmmm...

Dodgy
01-24-2008, 08:08 PM
In the HV displacement plugin in the Object Properties panel are toggles for these.

Dodgy
01-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Also, for SubD objects, set it to First, as this seems to work more reliably...

Chrusion
01-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Why Dawg! eee... Thanks, Dude!

Wonder why these options are way over there hidden underneath more than a few mouse clicks?

At first I thought, Yep, color works, but Nope, not size, cuz the weight map is being applied to particle weight. Then, just as a hunch, I applied a gradient texture to HV geometry size using particle weight as the input with a 0% - 100% value range and BINGO! instant change in HV particle sizes! Cooooool!

So, I can do massive simple object instancing two ways... use HVs applied to a points-only object physically cloned over a base object's surface, giving a total of say around 45K cloned points or use HD_Instance to clone virtually an actual object made of various sized spheres totalling 8K polys for a total of over 13 million 'virtual' polys. Both are volumetric and think would render in about the same time.