PDA

View Full Version : Getting started.................?

Longshot
07-11-2003, 09:46 AM
Ive been picking at 6.5 on and off for a year or so, but havent had a comp worth buying a full version copy. Now since Ive upgrade to a "real" graphics machine Im ready to jump in. Any advise would be most helpful. Im a student and could get the discount if it a complete version. Any ideas? Also Ive heard quit a bit about toaster and a few other programs on here the work with LW..........advantages?

Thanx a bunch
Longshot

meshmaster
07-11-2003, 10:18 AM
My advice would be to not mention that you are using illegal software on the forums of the folks that make the legal version... oops guess it's too late for you to take that advice.

Longshot
07-11-2003, 11:56 AM
Well since Im olny playing with it to see if I like the program, which I do, and not using it professionally, I think its ok. I do however plan on getting a "legal" copy soon, just not sure which or with what options- add ons etc.
Besides Im sure half the people on here have at one time or another benefited from a pirated copy of something. Not to say its right, but if I could have gotten a demo disk instead Id have gone with that.
But that aside, I could use a bit of advice on getting my "feet wet" in the lightwave realm. Anyone anyone...........beuler? LOL

Longshot

gjjackson
07-11-2003, 12:05 PM
I would suggest getting the student version. It comes complete but the license doesn't allow any commercial work. You could upgrade to the commercial version when the time comes. There's also the Discovery Edition that has limitations, but it's free.

Longshot
07-11-2003, 12:14 PM
Now when you say it doesnt allow commercial work, what exactly does that mean? I assume it has something to do with selling models you create with it, but what if you upgrade later, can you then resave the prior models so they can me bought and sold? Not that its a big deal now, just really curious.....=) Any other limiting factors to the student version?

Thanx
Longshot

NiPeR
07-11-2003, 01:08 PM
Hi

I gonna buy the Educational(Student) version in some weeks and the only limitations in the Educational version is that you can't use it for comercial use. And that means that you can't earn money for what you are doing with your program. But you can upgrade it later to the comercial version.

And one more thing. I don't think it's ok to use an illegal version. Even if you just "playing around" with it. It's still illegal and not so nice to Lightwave's creators. Or am I wrong?

You can order a demo disc of the discovery edition for free. That's a better choice than use an illegal version.

meshmaster
07-11-2003, 01:27 PM
Using illegal is not a good idea... and playing around with it is even worse since you are playing around with fire. I would not at all be surprised if Chuck or some other Newtek staff chimes in on this thread before long and files a report with the bsa with Longshot's IP...

I read a news article a few weeks ago that 3 kids in a college each had to pay fines of something like $10,000.00 a piece for possessing illegally downloaded mp3s on campus network... if that's happening for songs that are on cds that cost less than $30.00 just imagine what the fines could be for having illegal software that costs over $1000.00.

Longshot
07-11-2003, 01:41 PM
.........I no longer have the "illegal" copy and havent for some time, secondly, the whole point was to see if it was something I was interested in enough to go out and buy a full version. I have neither distributed nor prolifficated it in any way. Besides by using it intermitently I am going to buy a copy myself. Im sure most people would understand the logic in this. It is no different then going over a friends house and either using or borrowing some software or a CD.

Longshot

NiPeR
07-11-2003, 01:50 PM
I agree with meshmaster. It doesn't matter if you just test it, it's still illegal.

If you want to test a software, I can promise you that almost every company have a free version of their software. Newtek have 'The Discovery Edtition' that you could have used instead of an illegal version.

Sorry for my bad english.;)

MGuerra
07-11-2003, 02:05 PM
Hey guys, at least Longshot is trying to mend his crooked past ;)

To answer your question, though, the educational version is a fully functional version, with the exception of the licensing agreement that states that it cannot be used for commercial purposes (meaning you can't make money from it).

The educational version would entitle you to upgrade pricing in the future if you decided to go with a full commercial license.

The Discovery Edition is free, however, it's limited to 400 points per model, has a render watermark and Layout saving is disabled.

Now, depending on your intended use of the software would determine which route you should go.

I'm also glad you no longer have the "other" software on your computer. I guess I'll have to call off the dogs... :eek:

Longshot
07-11-2003, 02:38 PM
Thanx for the info. I actually have been reading up on some of the tutorials you have posted. The last one on animated a character(walking) was really interesting. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be able to give it a shot with my "legal" copy of LW...............;)
Anyway look forward to reading more. If you have any suggestions or where to begin or what some of the basics that people tend to pass over I'd appreciate the heads up.

Thanx
Longshot

MGuerra
07-11-2003, 02:49 PM
I think, to start, you should decide on what you'd rather work on - Modeling or Animating. If you want to work on both, then pick one to start with. I recommend modeling first, so you can create something really cool to later animate.

To learn, I would definitely continue looking through the tutorials here, as well as around the net. You might also invest a little more money and get a good book, such as Dan Ablan's "Inside LightWave 7".

Another great source of information is right here. Search through the forums and you'll find many different ideas, tips, suggestions, etc... If you have a question, just post it - and more than likely, you'll get a response pretty quickly. One of the best resources is the LightWave community!

Anyway, these are just a few ideas to get you started.

quatermain
07-13-2003, 02:58 PM
"Essential Lightwave" is, in my opinion, the best resource for beginners, after the flash intros on the tutorials page. The book is mostly geared towards modeling/surfacing, with a little animation/FX thrown in. very good !

packetcafe
07-30-2003, 12:31 PM
I've been thinking about buying an Audi TT Coupe. 6 speed, quattro version...

I can't afford to *buy* the car right now, so I've been trying one from a local dealer who accidentally left the keys hanging in plain sight on his key rack.

No, its not stealing. I'm seeing if I want to use the car, right? I think I'm justified.

I don't have much money right now, as I am still a student, so I'm thinking I'll buy the educational version of the car when I am able. This will make up for what I did in the past (which *wasn't* wrong, I tell you!), and perhaps someday when I have the money I can upgrade to a version that will actually let me drive to work...

=)

K, that was fun.

Anyways, I would recommend using Lightwave 7.5 Discovery Edition with Dan Ablan's book. Good combo, IMHO. Quite legal, and only runs around $65 or so. God bless! =)